Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your best Christmas memory from childhood? >

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

One of the worst Christmases for me was when I didn't have a lot of money. I told my oldest son we were going to make our own Christmas tree. I got a large piece of card board and cut out a tree about 4 ft.tall. We got the crayons out and I did have ornaments. Attached the tree to the wall and stuck the ornaments into the tree with paperclips. When we opened our gifts.(I only had $25.00 to spend on each child (2). Couple packages had multiples, so I broke the packages open and wrapped each piece so it looked like more presents. Broke my heart but he was 8 yrs. old and dad hadn't sent any support for few months. Turns out he needed to spend that on Christmas for the oldest one. When my son finished opening his gifts, he looked at me and said "That's it?" I nearly broke down but told him his behavior the past year warranted no more. He apologized and said "Wow, things will change!" He was happy though after he got to the grandparents and made out like a fat rat. He is going to be 43 in the spring and talks bout that Christmas often. he also told his grandparents (My parents) that it was one of his best Christmases. That was the year his mom knew how to stretch a budget and he learned from that.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM

Well I was fortunate to have lots of good memories but the one that stands out the most was when my dad and i went go shopping for a real tree. Mom sd "dont go over $10.00 and that was alot of money in them days. So dad and i set out in his red ford pickup truck to the tree farm. Took us an hour or so to hunt for the right one , Whal-la found it! Dad paid for it and threw it in teh back of the truck. The roads were covered with snow and it was cold i remember. Mom was waiting with hot chocolate and we all were so full of joy with our new tree that year. When we finally got home, mom was standing outside in a itty bitty sweater with much anticipation to see teh new tree. Suddenly she shouted,"Wheres the tree?" Dad and I looked in the truck and to our surprise. Our beautiful full pine tree was GONE. yup gone! Mom s, " u guys go back and see if you can find it, I didn't give u $10.00 for nothing!" So here we go again. Dad and I hopped into the truck and we just had to chuckle at the fact we lost the christmas tree. Driving very slowely in hopes we'd find it . By now it was snowing again,making seeing difficult. Dad said," we need to say a prayer to St. Anthony, founder of lost articles or moms gonna have our behinds!" So in our silence, we prayed and prayed and prayed. Oh about an hour lateror maybe even 2, there it was. The wind blew it off the truck bed and forced it into a bit past the ditch. Thank you St Anthony my dad said. He got the tree and put it back into the truck and this time tied it down good. When we arrived home, mom again was waiting for that perfect tree. She asked," do you have the tree?" My dad replied, "woman , you better have some hot chocolate for us or we wont bring in the tree." lol Oh what a beautiful tree it was and not much damage either, but dad knew how to fix broken branches. He would remove the broken branches from that side, turn that side of the tree to the back., and then drill a new hole where it was sparce in the front and insert the broken branches. Merry Christmas mom and dad.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM

maybe not the best but the funniest was the year we had a rat somehow get into the house. Had a dirt cellar in those days. the cat spotted the rat and chased it thru the house and up the Christmas tree. Never saw my mom move so fast as to get out of the way when they came thru from the kitchen, dining room, and into the living room. can really laugh about it now. mom didn't appreciate it at the time. lol.