Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension problems -- needles breaking! Help >

Tension problems -- needles breaking! Help

Tension problems -- needles breaking! Help

Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Tension problems -- needles breaking! Help

Somehow I seem to have gotten my thread tension misadjusted. I've broken five needles over the last few days of trying to sew -- thread breaks; fabric bunches up because one thread is too tight; needle breaks.

The manual with my Wizard (about 50 years old; I've had it for a year and sewn only on it) suggests that the tension isn't right -- but it doesn't really say what to do to fix it.

I was getting a lot of extra top thread sticking through the bottom, so I tried making the top tension tighter (which I thought would be a higher number), and now the top thread is flat and tight on top. I didn't do anything to the bobbin tension, at least I didn't try to (just loaded the bobbin and put it in like always).

And suggestions? Thank you!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

there are lots of things that can affect tension- what thread you are using, (weight/type) using the same in the top & bobbin? what needle you are using (the right size/type for the thread being used) when was your machine / bobbin area cleaned last? I would start with a good cleaning, then a new needle (making sure it is the correct needle for the thread) re-thread the machine from the spool all the way- making sure the thread is through the tension disc's correctly- wind a new bobbin- with the same thread (or at least the same weight thread) then loosen that tension back up to your starting point & try some practice stitching- adjusting just a little bit at a time (1/4 turn or less) and sew a few inches. keep adjusting *slowly* and checking until you have the tension 'balanced'. (you said the machine is 50 years old...when was it cleaned & oiled last?- could be a factor)
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM

I may have had different weights of threat in the bobbin and on the spool -- I'll check that and rethread from the beginning and adjusting a little at a time with practice stitches (rather than panicking). I've been pretty diligent with brushing it out and oiling it, but it hasn't had a "professional" cleaning since before I received it. Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM

The first thing I do when having a tension problem like that is to rethread the machine, and be sure I'm threading it correctly.

I went through a lot of needles trying to FMQ. People around me were recommending size 12 needles and I did much better (fewer needles broken) with 14 or 16 size needles. Others on this board have pointed to a web site that matches the thread size to the needle size needed.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 PM

All of the above ... plus I just ad this happen. After breaking a needle and then changing to a new one then my machine had the problem. Short story: I hadn't put the needle in all the way.The machine I was using is awkward for me to change the needle, so I might need help with the next needle change as my hands aren't that helpful anymore.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 AM

An easy way to test your tension is to sew a line on the diaginal of the fabric. then gently tug at the thread line by holding both corners of the fabric. the top or bottom side that breaks is the thread that is too tight.
keep adjusting that tension until neither thread breaks. If neither thread breaks then the tension is good. I never adjust the bobbin tension screw. also it is important to thread your machine with the presser foot up so the thread goes thru the tension disk correctly. If the presser foot is down then the disk is closed and the thread will not get hooked in it completely.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the instructions! I have a lot to learn, and you've helped me. Now to go to my machine and try some things...
Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM

I am not confident when it comes to tension - to me it is BIG learning curve that I can't master. Always happy to hear the advice of others.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Here is an article that explains thread tension:
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...nsion/page/all

You really need to understand how to adjust bobbin tension as well as top tension. Having the thread lay flat on the top means the top tension is too tight in relation to the bobbin; either the bobbin tension needs to be tightened or the top tension needs to be loosened.

Are you trying to free-motion quilt? Or just sew? There is no reason why your needle should be breaking if you are piecing. If that is the case, there is a high probability that you are inserting the new needle incorrectly. Usually on vintage machines the flat side of the needle shaft faces the rear of your machine. You also need to be careful that the needle is inserted all of the way up. To test a new needle, turn the wheel of your machine by hand to make a few stitches. Watch the needle tip carefully to make sure it is not bending or hitting anything.

Although this video about adjusting tension was made for longarm machines, it works well for domestic machines and regular sewing as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Incidentally, having a piece of lint stuck somewhere in the bobbin area or in the top tension area will change the tension on your machine. You need to be diligent about cleaning. How often do you oil your machine?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 PM

For your bobbin, thread it and hold it by the thread only. If the bobbin stays in place and does not slide down, then the bobbin is okay. If when holding the thread only, the bobbin starts sliding down, then you have to adjust the little screw on the bobbin itself, turning the screw only 1/4 turn.

If the needle is in right, and all the way, and you have it threaded correctly, turn the wheel and bring up the bobbin thread. Then take a piece of cotton material, double it, and sew some stitches. If the bobbin thread is on the top, the bobbin is too loose. If the top thread is on the bottom, the tension on top is too loose. Both threads should meet in the middle of the fabric for correct sewing. I hope I have this right, it is getting late in the evening for me. Good luck.