Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you stocking up on light bulbs? >

Are you stocking up on light bulbs?

Are you stocking up on light bulbs?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 AM

We have switched to LEDs also
Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Those of you who have LEDs: are they cooler than incandescent? I can choose between having enough light and roasting while I sew, or sewing in the dark. But I don't use CFs because of the mercury, and the few I've tried haven't lasted any longer. And, how is the quality of the light?? Those are mighty pricy bulbs, and I prefer to experiment with fabric.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 AM

I have some lights which will not fit those twisty compact fluorescent bulbs, so I guess I need to stock up a bit. Otherwise I'm ok with the CFL's, but I have no idea how to dispose of them. They have mercury in them, and say right on them that they can't be put into landfills. I have two or three right now which are burned out and I don't know what to do with them. Anybody know?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

The apt complex I moved into have the energy efficient bulbs. They give off a lot of heat but this winter, so far this apt stay warm. When I am a bit cold, I just sit at my computer underneath the ceiling fan with the warm bulb and I am comfortable. I use OTT lights for good light when doing any type of sewing. I guess I am lucky that I don't get headaches from them.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 AM

I had forgotten this. We have the CFL lights all over the house. The fixture in one of the our bathrooms we can't find CFL's to fit. I really like the light fixture. I guess I need to go find a 10 or 20 year supply of them. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Home Depot and Lowe's both take them.
Check the home improvement stores near you

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have some lights which will not fit those twisty compact fluorescent bulbs, so I guess I need to stock up a bit. Otherwise I'm ok with the CFL's, but I have no idea how to dispose of them. They have mercury in them, and say right on them that they can't be put into landfills. I have two or three right now which are burned out and I don't know what to do with them. Anybody know?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 AM

The sad thing about these new bulbs is that the uninformed or low-information public do not realize the hazards of these bulbs, and yes, they will end up in our landfills and over time guess what will happen. I think these bulbs are disasters waiting to happen - and someone mentioned that if they break having to use a hazmat team is over exaggerated- would you want to take the chance of getting mercury poisoning? - and people will. I think this is another example of government run amok. I will never use these bulbs if I can help it.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:20 AM

I HATE Florescent lighting & I do mean I HATE them. I worked under them for years, colors are never true & yes they cause headaches. I have quit a hoard of the old fashion light bulbs. I have seen to many bad reports on the CFL's about the mercury in them & no the incandesent bulbs do not contain mercury. Now how can that be better for the enviroment??? If you break one you are supposed to double bag it & take it toxic dumpster. How many people are going to do this, none. They willl just toss them in the garbage & then into a landfill they go along with the mercury seeping into the ground. You will never convince me these are better in any way. If you like them you can have them. Personally I don't like being told by the goverment what I have to use, especially when the ones they are peddeling are more dangerouse for the earth. Okay time to get off my soap box. Here is how you have to clean up a CFL if you break it, do you really want to take any chances with mercury???

One of the most potent threats to CFLs' superiority isn't their cost, but their contents. There's a small amount of toxic mercury in every one, which can be absorbed or inhaled, potentially causing brain damage in adults, children and especially in fetuses. Fumble a CFL while changing a light, critics warn, and you unleash a poisonous fiend in your home. Throw it out and you're dumping mercury in landfills.

Those are both valid concerns. You should be careful when cleaning up a broken CFL, but don't go nuts — Snopes has debunked the myth that breaking one requires calling in an environmental cleanup crew. Keep kids and pets away, open the windows and resist the urge to vacuum, since that can kick up mercury vapor into the air; see the EPA's advice on cleaning up broken fluorescent lights for a complete guide. When they do eventually burn out, make sure to dispose of them properly. Enough Said.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:10 AM

We switched to the new ones a long time ago, I have had no problems with them. Mine seem to last a long time. I used to be buying bulbs all the time it seemed, now not very often. The day light ones are brighter
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My eye doctor said he has had more complaints from his patients about the lights causing headaches, I guess because more are using them.
Thanks for the ''Light Bulb Alert'' -The squirrelly bulbs do the strangest things to my vision. I can only describe it as the after effect of sitting in strobe lights. I was scared that there was something seriously wrong with my eyes. But some one told me they were florescent and I've always had problems with the tube/bulb lighting. Thank God it was nothing serious. So I will be going shopping today to do a large stock-up on regular light bulbs..