Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question re hand quilting in hoop >

Question re hand quilting in hoop

Question re hand quilting in hoop

Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Question re hand quilting in hoop

I looked at the Grace 2 hoop, square-round, and it looks like it would be the perfect hoop for hand quilting. Have any of you used it? What is your opinion of it? I'm considering buying the 24" size.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

There is one customer review of it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Storage-...dp/B006W6YIIG/

Personally, I think a lap hoop is more versatile (and easier to store) than a floor hoop. I have heard good things about the Grace lap hoop (and there are reviews of these on Amazon) but have not used it myself. My favorite is a lap hoop that swivels on a wooden ball, but it is no longer made. The Grace lap hoop is the closest I have seen to mine in that it has enough open space that it does not interfere with the underneath hand, and is easily adjustable for angle and tilt.

There are advantages and disadvantages to a larger hoop size. A larger hoop means you need to re-hoop less frequently; however, the distance to reach can become uncomfortable. My lap hoop is probably more on the order of 14". Maybe the larger hoop size is more useable in the floor frame setup, though.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Interesting looking hoop. But I wish they would have shown a much larger quilt. I like an 18" hoop not on a frame.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 AM

when i travel, i use a hoop - but have to balance on something - another chair, the corner of a desk, something that allows me to freely use my hand underneath the quilt. That's why i like my frame w/ legs.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:20 AM

I have a big one like this http://www.amazon.com/Hinterberg-Des...d_sim_sbs_ac_1 I have never used it....think I may bring it to a consignment store.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

unless you are really, really tall- have really long arms- I think a 24" hoop would be very difficult. I have an 18" and often it is too large to comfortably use (and i'm 5'9" - have fairly long arms)
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 AM

The thing about a hoop/frame in a fixed position is that you need to be able to quilt in all directions. If you're doing stab stitch, which is less popular, then that should be OK. If you're doing rocking stitch, most quilters can't do that in all directions. A hand-held hoop allows you to turn the hoop whenever you need to.

Height is definitely a factor. I'm 4'11 and find that a traditional round 16" frame is a bit too big to be comfortable for me. But a 14" doesn't get quite enough quilt in it to get the tension right, I find, and you have to keep redoing the frame which I hate. I prefer Q-snaps anyway, and they're rectangular. An 11" x 17" is perfect for me to get my arms around, you get a fair bit of quilt into it, it's much easier to adjust the tension, it doesn't leave such bad creases on the fabric (if you're careful, it doesn't leave any), you can adjust it to be another size if need be (e.g. for beading), and as it's rectangular, the spaces you're quilting tile neatly across the quilt.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 AM

I prefer a plain lap hoop with no stand. I can sit comfortably in any position to quilt. I think any type of floor frame would be hard on my back. My hoop is about 13-14" round. I'm working on a quilt now with 12" blocks and can hoop each block completely with no problem.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 AM

I have that set-up, but with the 14" hoop. I found that if you use safety pins, it's hard to re-adjust the quilt. I like the frame enough tho that I'm going to get the 18" hoop.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I like using a double hoop. there are several sizes but I prefer the bigger one. You can also take it apart and use each hoop on its own or transport it dismantled, a nice feature when taking it along in a suitcase. I have this model and I also have a single Dritz quilting hoop. Actually I own many hoops but this double one is my favorite. I also like the composite material this is made from instead of the wooden ones.

MORGAN-Lap Stand Combo 10in and 14in Hoops. Lap Stand has a unique tongue and goove no-slip hoop configuration which holds the fabric taut while working on your project. These lap stands are designed to elevate the project hoop above the lap while the unique feature othe this stand is that it is collapsible. Each stand is composed of two hoops held together by three supporting rods which space the hoops 4.5 inches apart. Simply invert the lap stand to work with either size hoop. Made of plastic. Hoop sizes: 10in and 14in diameters.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...1/product.html

I bought my double hoop on a quilt show. You can use a hoop, double or single, for very big quilts. The double hoop will lift it off your lap. It can be used both ways with the larger or smaller hoop to the top.

Like some one mentioned the floor stand hoops might not be as easy to use when doing a larger quilt. Actually if you want a floor stand one you might check your local Craigslist as I see them frequently in my area for sale.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 12-16-2013 at 04:37 AM.