Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a home remedy for adhesive? >

Is there a home remedy for adhesive?

Is there a home remedy for adhesive?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 AM

Default Is there a home remedy for adhesive?

I was wondering if anyone has tried making adhesive to sandwich your quilts? I love the spray, made by Sullivan's and the results are wonderful but if your making very many, it gets to be expensive.I would really appreciate your response. Thank you
Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 AM

As an experiment I diluted Elmer's School Glue and put it in a spray bottle. Worked fine for me. I can't give you the exact dilution rate as I kept adding water until the mixture came out of the bottle as a thin stream. I have a quilt to sandwich today and I am going to further dilute it to a coarse spray and see if it works.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 AM

I just use Elmer's School Glue. I tried diluting it with water but even though I added just a small amount, it seemed to take a lot longer to dry. I have better luck, just using a light drizzle, straight from the bottle.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM

I haven't tried this "recipe" yet but will be doing so soon. I don't remember the site that I got it from.

Things You'll Need
• Spray bottle
• Elmer's Glue-All
• Water

Combine equal parts glue and water in the spray bottle. Shake until they are completely combined.

Add 2 to 5 drops of dish soap to the glue mixture.

Swirl the mixture gently with the tube from the the head of the bottle until the dish soap has been thoroughly mixed in.

Tips & Warnings
• Remove the sprayer from the spray bottle after each use and flush it out with warm water. Cover the bottle with plastic wrap and a rubber band to keep the glue from drying out. This will ensure that the nozzle does not get clogged.
• If you find that the nozzle gets clogged while you are using the glue spray, add a few more drops of dish soap.

Here's a different recipe:
Spray Glue

Boil 3 cups water, add 1/2 tsp salt. Reduce heat to medium, whisk 3 Tbsp flour into the water, a pinch at a time. Continue whisking to break up the flour, and cook until it thickens to a consistency of egg white, or maybe gravy.
Cool to room temperature.
Fill a clean spray bottle 1/4 full of rubbing alcohol. Add water/flour to fill the bottle, leaving a little room to shake. Cap it. Shake well before each use.
I don't know how big your spray bottle will be, that's why I tell you to use 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water/flour.

This glue is wonderful for QAYG blocks. I cut my backing, lay my batting, lift the batting 1/2 way, spray the glue lay the batting back down onto the backing, and do the same to the other half of the block. When it's dry I can gently shake the backing/batting block and it stays glued. I am able to lay my top and quilt it on the machine. I Don't Know if it would work on a bigger quilt.

I've also read that Aqua Net hair spray is a great substitute for the spray basting. Again I haven't had a chance to try it.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:14 PM

Elmer's school glue, straight out of the bottle. Hold it a foot or so above the quilt, squeeze and move quickly in a giant zig-zag. There is no need to fool around watering it down and spraying it. It doesn't need to be over the whole surface to hold the layers smooth.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't use any basting method but Elmer's now. I quit buying the bottles and now buy it by the gallon, as cheap as Elmer's is, the gallon is even cheaper.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM

There is a recipe in this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t228646.html
I have been using this for some time now. I've had to adjust it a tad for the humid climate I live in, but it works and is nearly free, just flour, salt, water, rubbing alcohol and a few minutes of your time.

Last edited by Scraplady; 12-21-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Thank you all for sharing what you do. I will probably try them all to see which I like best.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Elmer's washable school glue for me....straight from the bottle, tip wide open.....approx. 12-18" from surface....squeeze and let it go in a random pattern across the surface, trying to get lines about 4-8" apart.....not an exact science.....pat it down and let it dry......very easy, quick clean up, great results.....fabrics will not shift, glue washes out with warm water.