Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
*sigh* and the ugly quilt award goes to?  Me.  Again. >

*sigh* and the ugly quilt award goes to? Me. Again.

*sigh* and the ugly quilt award goes to? Me. Again.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM

No one will notice the mistakes except you. Trust me on that one. And it's a beautiful quilt, not an ugly one! I've done way worse that that! Just take it as a learning experience, and keep going. You've got talent!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM

IT is absolutely gorgeous! Love the colours and the quilting is lovely. For a quilting with a zillion mistakes (sounds like it!) it is sure looking fantastic! Well done!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM

That is a great quilt! Don't be so hard on yourself. It's beautiful and I love the blocks and colors................
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

So what are you complaining about? You think things are different as you get better? I know some people who don't seem to make mistakes, but maybe they just don't tell the rest of us about them. My husband is a shipwright, works on all curved surfaces. He told me of an old saying that it isn't making mistakes that is an issue but how professionally and fast you can fix them and as always, measure twice. But what does he know. he isn't a quilter. There are times though when he seems pretty smart.

I AM SO IMPRESSED YOU PUT TOGETHER THIS WONDERFUL QUILT. Thing is ....we all have issues (nice way of saying mistakes), the great thing is that you were able to fix everything and we wouldn't have known. Terrific job. I love that you shared your booboos with us. I think your doing GREAT.. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM

You ladies are so sweet. The quilting is almost easy with a quilting frame involved.

The main reason I took on a block/quilt that complex is that I really didn't know what I was getting into. It's easy to be brave when you're uninformed. Usually I would take something like this to our sewing circle and see if there was something that was going to bite me in the rear end. That's how new to this I feel. Our circle ended about the time I started this, and my plan wasn't fully formed at that point. It was developed in a bubble, with the exception of some input from DH. Which in retrospect might also be part of the reason I have so much trouble with it visually, just like mme3924 mentions. I lost perspective.

I still don't know what I did to float the blocks with the setting triangles. I didn't actually intend to, but I like the look, so I left them.

Believe it or not, I took off one border while it was on the frame, and restitched it with a better ease on the frame. I just didn't think I could live with the "bedskirt" I has sitting there. By the end of that exercise, I had an overage of more than 1.5" under the other borders.

In fact, I'm thinking of writing about this one on my blog. I learned so much from it.

And it is getting harder to find the mistakes. I was looking at the sawtooth portions last night and couldn't find nearly as many decapitations as I thought were there. Perhaps they relaxed a little and the quilting pushed some of them out?

rainsprite - your hubby is very smart. I see the mistakes because I made them, as I'm sure he does. I think the thing to do is to learn that if they're not there anymore, to stop seeing them... I forgave myself the unintentional wiggles in my quilting, now to learn to forgive the rest.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM

I think it's awesome. I love the colors and the pattern.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM

It is finished! He likes it, I like it, QB members like it. I bet there are thousands of 'flimsy' masterpiece tops laying unfinished out there. Persistence is a cardinal virtue for quilters.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Nice quilt for your hubby and your quilt inspector seems to like it too! Happy quilting