Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need surf song help please >

Need surf song help please

Need surf song help please

Old 01-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Need surf song help please

I want to make a quilt similar to Surf Song, something that mimics ski slopes, but the two patterns I have for surf song are too big and too small. I'd like my quilt to end up as a lap sized quilt, maybe 60ish by 75ish. I thought about trying to take off the last few strips to make the big one smaller, but I don't want to tackle that challenge.

Does anyone know of a book I can purchase or a free web site that might have something more like what I'm looking for? I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Well, I thought I had the answer for you, as I just finished a Surf Song, but it is basically 50 inches square. Not quite what you are wanting.

However, you might be able to enlarge the wallhanging size...which is what I made...easier than making the bigger one in the book (98 x 96 1/2). Also, I know most folks don't put too much of a border on their bargello, but I put one on mine and am pretty pleased with it. I'll include a picture, just in case it helps.

But wait, I just looked in my new book, More Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright, and there is one that might be what you are looking for. It is called Misty Morning, and it finishes to 61 x 80 1/2.

Hope this is helpful.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001610.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-01-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: copyright image
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Oh Dina, yours is pretty. The one in the book will work for the size I want. I'll probably stop by me LQS this week to look for the book. Thanks!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Oh good, I am glad I was able to help. I got my book from Amazon...in cae your LQS doesn't have it.

Dina
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Sorry that I took a picture of the page in the book. I wasn't thinking. (That's why the second picture was removed.) It looked just like Surf Song though, which is what my other picture is. It is just a bigger version and in different colors.

Dina
Old 01-02-2014, 10:09 AM

I made my version of the Surf Song wallhanging bigger by adding 1/2" to the width of each fabric strip and then adding 1/2" to the width of each strip-set slice. This added around 20" to both the width and height of the quilt. I think somebody else on this board also did this (which is where I got the idea from for how to make it bigger).
Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mishi View Post
I made my version of the Surf Song wallhanging bigger by adding 1/2" to the width of each fabric strip and then adding 1/2" to the width of each strip-set slice. This added around 20" to both the width and height of the quilt. I think somebody else on this board also did this (which is where I got the idea from for how to make it bigger).
This sounds like a very easy way to do it!!

Dina
Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM

There are 2 books on amazon. One cover is green ant the other is red. Which one did you buy.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
There are 2 books on amazon. One cover is green ant the other is red. Which one did you buy.
Well, I bought both books, though not at the same time. The Surf Song pattern is in the first book, Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright. It's cover is the reddish one. This book has two sizes of the Surf Song. One is 46 x 48, and the other is 98 x 96. My quilt is the smaller size, she calls it a wall hanging, but it is too big for any of my walls!

The second book, More Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts is the green one. It has an in-between size of a similar quilt, 61 x 80, called Misty Morning.

I like both books. I had not done a bargello before a month or so ago, and the first book has a place mat Bargello that I made, just to learn the technique. Then I did the Surf Song. I am very pleased with both. I just made a small Bargello of my own design....lots of work, I won't do that again!!!...and I am deciding which bargello to do next. Probably one from the second book.

I don't regret buying either book. The quilts are great and the instructions are quite good! The first book has 11 projects and the second book has ten.

Dina
Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Sorry that I took a picture of the page in the book. I wasn't thinking. (That's why the second picture was removed.) It looked just like Surf Song though, which is what my other picture is. It is just a bigger version and in different colors.

Dina
I saw the picture and it's just what I was looking for, so I appreciate your help, and I looked at the book on amazon. I'm going to see if my LQS has it first, but if not, I'll probably order it on amazon. Thanks again!