I was inspired...

Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Default I was inspired...

...by PlanoDebbie who told about how her daughter used cd-storage furniture to store quilt fabrics. I found three used ones for a bargain (IKEA Benno). And I was thinking I had a big stash... but actually I have room for more!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454711[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag0744.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Mighty pretty!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Looks awesome !! .. Now you have plenty of room- time for you to go shopping !!!!
I found wall cd holders at a thrift store for super cheap and wherever i had wall space ( which is limited by the way) i had hubby nail a CD holder there.. So now I can hold more stash !! they keep my FQs nice and tidy..
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Way to go! I'll have to show your picture to my daughter. Great job!

Not sure if any of you happen to follow the Crafty Gemini through Facebook and Youtube, but I saw an excellent idea on there today as well. Vanessa (Crafty Gemini) posted a picture of her sewing studio and all of the stacks of fabric that she was trying to organize. One of the ladies, in reply, also posted a picture of the shelves in her sewing room. She had her husband cut up some of those foam boards into 7.5" X 11.5" pieces. For each piece of fabric in her stash she folded it one more time length-wise so that it was only about 11" tall and wrapped it around one of the pieces of foam board. You can use straight pins to hold it to the foam board. Once each piece of fabric was wrapped around a foam board, she stood them up on the shelves (similar to a fabric store, but half as tall) and had them sorted by color. I can't wait to go buy some foam board and bring more organization to my fabric stash now!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

What a great idea....I'll definitely keep a look out for these now. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Looks great and very organized.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 AM

I love those-they take up so little floor space!!

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
Way to go! I'll have to show your picture to my daughter. Great job!

Not sure if any of you happen to follow the Crafty Gemini through Facebook and Youtube, but I saw an excellent idea on there today as well. Vanessa (Crafty Gemini) posted a picture of her sewing studio and all of the stacks of fabric that she was trying to organize. One of the ladies, in reply, also posted a picture of the shelves in her sewing room. She had her husband cut up some of those foam boards into 7.5" X 11.5" pieces. For each piece of fabric in her stash she folded it one more time length-wise so that it was only about 11" tall and wrapped it around one of the pieces of foam board. You can use straight pins to hold it to the foam board. Once each piece of fabric was wrapped around a foam board, she stood them up on the shelves (similar to a fabric store, but half as tall) and had them sorted by color. I can't wait to go buy some foam board and bring more organization to my fabric stash now!
I use that foam board for my ribbon storage but for fabric I use comic book boards in the same way. The foam is so thick I don't think I'd have room for that.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Very nice!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454893[/ATTACH]Here's the shelf my daughter organized for my fat quarters. This shelf is for DVD's and cost $28 at Walmart. 19x9.5x49.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 AM

Oh, that is just wonderful. It's so nicely organized I'd hesitate to touch it. Great job she did!

I definitely feel much better about my tiny stash.