CFL disposal

Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Default CFL disposal

FYI-I just had to clean up a broken CFL bulb for my mother. In case you break one: you must open the door or window for 10-15 minutes to clear the mercury vapor. DO NOT vacuum. Use thin cardboard to gather up the pieces and place inside a glass jar with a top. Use tape to pick up any remaining particles. The waste is to be stored outside until trash pick-up.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

Thank you for the info, I had no idea! How did you know that it is hazardous waste and how to dispose of. Now in concerned as I thought these were to be such better bulbs.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I knew they were supposed to go to a disposal site whole. I take mine to Home Depot. I Googled how to clean up a broken one because I wasn't sure what to do with the waste.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

...... and to think these are better than the old-fashioned incandescents that are now at the end of their life?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Wow I had no idea about this either! What happens if you break a bulb and clean it up and put it into a plastic bag? Seriously, who has a lot of empty glass jars they can waste to throw away a broken light bulb? I never would have though they had to be cleaned up like this! Thanks for sharing that! We've been buying them for a few years, and I don't remember breaking any. But the stores need to post signs about this!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
...... and to think these are better than the old-fashioned incandescents that are now at the end of their life?
Love this response, I have asked that question many times. The new bulbs cost more, are worse for the environment and do not last any longer than the old ones. I installed one of the the new bulbs the day before Christmas, cost almost $12.00. I replaced it today, burned out already. I had the box and the receipt, so I returned it. They acted like I was crazy. The guy behind the desk pointed out to me, as stated on the box, that the bulb should last 20 times longer than the old style. Well, the bulb it replaced was installed in our new house...13 years ago. I am buying up as many of the old style I can get my hands on.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM

My daughter and a friend of my sister both had one of those new type bulbs get so hot it melted enough to droop. My daughter said it smelled like it was on fire. Luckily both of them were home when this happened and were able to get them out before something worse could have happened. I'm like others, give me the old ones!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

I had one of the new CFL bulbs in a lamp and just a few days ago I heard a pop and a hiss and a bad odor coming from the lamp. The bulb was burnt out and I could tell some kind of fumes were coming out of the bulb. It scared me to think I had breathed the vapors without any warning. I tossed everyone of the CFL bulbs I had in the trash. DH bought cases of the regular bulbs before Christmas so we can use those for a few years. Maybe by then the CFL bulbs will be illegal. Never put one of these in a child's room.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-04-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

The CFL bulbs are made to be left on. The turning off and on is what shortens the life. No where is that info put out about the new bulbs. The old fashioned long bulbs would buzz and blink when turned off and on too much. They were made first for buildings and businesses that have lots of lights that say on 24/7 to save energy costs and not meant to be turned off and on. Write the date you install one of these bulbs on the base of the bulb and that way you will know how long it lasts. I haven't had one last over six months in a socket that is turned off and on several times a day.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-04-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 AM

That is crazy-I thought these were supposed to be better for the environment?? I'll make it simpler on myself and just use LED or incandescent. I hate CFL bulbs-they give me awful headaches.