Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilters? >

New Quilters?

New Quilters?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Default New Quilters?

Just wondering if there's a place on Quilting Board for beginning quilters to post messages and learn from? I see there's a "tutorials" section, and I subscribed to it.

But reading most of your messages and seeing pictures of your GORGEOUS, professional-looking quilts has me feeling very overwhelmed right now!!

Nancy
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Welcome, Nancy! You'll enjoy it here! Just remember we are not the "quilt police" and have reams of help for you when you need it! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Most important - even the best of the quilts you like here started with a piece or two of fabric and a very novice sewer! You'll see many questions asked by the most advanced quilters, too!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Nancy - welcome! Don't worry about being a newbie. There are no stupid questions (okay, I think a lot of mine are), and you will find that you will learn an amazing amount of valuable stuff here. My only complaint? Sometimes I spend so much time reading others' questions and looking at their beautiful quilts, I'm not getting any sewing done!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Hi Nancy,

Beginning quilters are welcome in any part of the board to ask questions, post pictures, or just make comments. We all learn from one another.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed. I still do, after four years. BUT everyone here is very helpful. I have never asked a question without immediate answers, all which were helpful. Sure, somewhere probably thought my questions were dumb...Like, "When I change the blade in my rotary cutter....do I wipe the oil off?" But no one ever laughed, I just got the answers I needed. Plus, I got answers from all levels of quilters.

Just enjoy what you do and ask questions when you need to.

Dina
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM

I am a newbie too--just started quilting in June of last year! Just dive right in, read everything and pick up great info. I did take a Quilting 101 class at my LQS (local quilt shop) just to learn the basics the right way--and it was VERY VERY helpful. After that, it is a practice and self taught process. Everyone on this board has been very helpful and friendly, so welcome from another newbie!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I am pretty new myself, just hang in there. It is so much fun and you will just keep getting better and better. I find it so inspiring to look at everyone's beautiful work!!! I have learned so much here!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Welcome... !!!!

This site is great and yes we are PROUD PROUD PROUD of any and all achievements...
So when you create .. Post a picture..
IF you have a questions.. Just ask...
Find a great blog/quilt site.... spread the word...

A lil helpful advice.. there is a search box on the right side of the main page- type what your looking for and all posts related will be brought up in a search..

for example : accuquilt ....
any post that has the word "accuquilt" will show up.. believe me there's quite a few on that topic..

Glad you found us.... Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by His_Grace View Post
But reading most of your messages and seeing pictures of your GORGEOUS, professional-looking quilts has me feeling very overwhelmed right now!!

Nancy
No! No! No! need to be overwhelmed! I'm a newish quilter with no previous sewing skills and a 'foreigner' to boot, lol. I can honestly say that I have never seen a post that is anything other than supportive, encouraging and helpful from fellow quilters. Quilters are a special breed who love to talk about anything quilt related, even those questions that have been asked countless times before (you'll probably get links to where the topic was fully discussed).

I cannot thank my fellow quilters enough for their helpful and informative responses. A wide variety of answers gives you several methods of problem solving, allowing you to decide on what works for you.

If you are posing a question, it will certainly help if you give as much detail as possible i.e. you're new/never tried the technique or are looking for basic instructions.

We all need to walk before we can run - quilters too . Relax and enjoy!
Happy quilting
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Banned

The best place for a new quilter to be is right here on the Main forum. I have learned so much here from some very kind ladies. I have even been brave enough to show my first few quilts and get so much support. If there was a newbie thread, then the ones you really need help from would not be there. Trust me when I say I started on here when my first quilt was a thought. I have been on the receiving side of some very generous "gifts" from ladies who have been so swilling to share. Enjoy and ask any questions you have.