Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon? >

Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon?

Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon?

I have a Pfaff 2030 that should be a great machine but just bugs me with little things. I really like old machines--bought a lovely Graybar in a cabinet off Craigslist for a song, but unfortunately after only one project the motor went bad (and my local guy who I trust can't promise a fix).

I've seen the Featherweight images and read stories about them for years. I would love one, but I want one that's already been vetted--restored or in very good condition, good motor, attachments, etc.

I'm in Seattle but willing to have something shipped or to drive a bit if needed. Any tips on how not to get a bad one would be most welcome.

I do small quilts and household sewing.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM

The best way is to buy local. Test drive it to make sure it operates properly and no chance of shipping damage. Look on you local CL and put your feelers out through friends. They're easy to come by and not rare at all.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Banned

ya do know that we walk folks through doing their own motor repairs all the time here. My favorite comment from a lady who posted recently how "empowering it was" to find that she really could do it.

I know nothing about Featherweight machines directly, sorry
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 PM

You either buy one from someone you trust that has gone over it, or you take your chances. then sometimes you are better getting one that runs, and doing all the cleaning and oiling yourself.

Too often repair people have to be time conscious so the don't loose money on repair jobs, and may not take the time to really clean a machine well. It's not that they don't know how - but that time =$$$
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM

It's not so much about buying a "lemon" since repairs are generally fairly straight forward, it's about getting swindled because you paid too much (which is totally in the eye of the buyer/seller). My other thought is that you should be prepared to do some basic maintenance yourself. While they're not complex they do require a certain amount of care in the form of oiling and cleaning.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM

Default did you see my message about needing a home 4 featherweight

Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
I have a Pfaff 2030 that should be a great machine but just bugs me with little things. I really like old machines--bought a lovely Graybar in a cabinet off Craigslist for a song, but unfortunately after only one project the motor went bad (and my local guy who I trust can't promise a fix).

I've seen the Featherweight images and read stories about them for years. I would love one, but I want one that's already been vetted--restored or in very good condition, good motor, attachments, etc.

I'm in Seattle but willing to have something shipped or to drive a bit if needed. Any tips on how not to get a bad one would be most welcome.

I do small quilts and household sewing.
do you know anyone in Tacoma or how far away are you? There's an ad at shopgoodwill.com for a featherweight 1952 model for $19.95 with no bidders but it has to be picked up. Put a notice on this board on 24th but hasn't shown up yet. Bidding is good thru 2/2. Would be like finding gold to snag this one. Looks like its in good condition.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM

I have bought 2 singer featherweights and 2 older Pfaffs still made in Germany and my new iphone at half the cost all off ebay all have been wonderful but be sure you read the reviews on the seller and buy from U.S. for shipping cost reasons if the seller is good you usually have 14 days to return you pay shipping pay with pay pal and they also are good to their word I do not worry about ebay as long as I do my homework too
Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
I want one that's already been vetted--restored or in very good condition, good motor, attachments.
Graham Forsdyke can be trusted. His machines are reported to be as good as coming off the assembly line. However, the price is steep.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 AM

Default Top Condition, Guaranteed Featherweight, at Reasonable Price

I understand your wanting a Featherweight that has been cleaned, polished, serviced and tested, and is "like new."
I have one for sale. My husband services FW's as a hobby and completely goes over them, tests them, and repairs/replaces needed parts. The machines and cases are also cleaned, polished, and look beautiful. Most of the gals in my quilt guild have FW's puchased from us. Not one has been returned or have there been complaints. The FW is currently have for sale belonged to a dear friend who passed away recently and is in top condition, has been serviced, cleaned, and sews like perfectly. I am asking $350 plus shipping. Contact me if you are interested - [email protected]- and I will answer any questions and/or provide pictures.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The best way is to buy local. Test drive it to make sure it operates properly and no chance of shipping damage. Look on you local CL and put your feelers out through friends. They're easy to come by and not rare at all.
I agree. I have two FW's and saw both on Craig's list. I drove to the destination and tried out both of them.
They are both in excellent condition with books and attachments. Both are also Centennials.

I did the same with my 301A I bought...It is also in mint condition with attachments and book.

You'll find one I'm sure. Good luck hunting