UFOs

Old 01-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default UFOs

I consider a UFO something I did some work on it and then either it was too hard or I became bored with it and put it away. How do your UFOs happen? I have lots of quilts that I cut all the pieces completely out and then stuck them away. My friend who owned a quilt shop said I sounded like I like cutting the most. Now I don't at all. Maybe i should get out my UFOs that are cut out and finish them. They are hidden all over my sewing room in tubs of different sizes. I should spend the time and get them all out and see if I could now make them. Or trade them to someone for their UFOs. Maybe we could have a UFO page and show our UFOs and see who would trade their UFOs for our UFOs. I think that is a good idea.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I tend to cut, then sew a little, then cut again and so on. I break up the tasks so I don't get my arthritis acting up. If I loose interest in a pattern before it is finished, I can turn it into a lap quilt or runner with no guilt.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I have the opposite problem. I can't have more than 2 piecing projects going at the same time. If I get bored with one or don't want to work on it for some reason, I feel too guilty to start a new one, so I do nothing until my mojo returns. I've only had 1 top that I truly didn't want to finish, and I gave it away. I have no problem, however, stacking up completed tops waiting for quilting. My longarm is buried in my 'fabric storage facility'. I have to pull out a bunch of stuff to get to it, so I wait until I have several tops to do.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM

We have one. Bring your UFOs and join the party!

Here we encourage each other to make progress http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...h-t237910.html

And here we celebrate our finishes http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...h-t237730.html
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM

I have things I'm bored with and would like to give away, but I always wonder who would want them in a partially finished state. Especially if I no longer have the original material to finish them because they've gone into another project. I'll probably take some of the UFOs apart and put them into my scrap boxes.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:14 PM

I am one who does not have that issue. I was raised sewing my own garments from an early age. The first rule my Mom had was no fabric gets cut until the last project is completely finished. This has stayed with me and carried into my quilting. I tried once to start a new quilt.. but became so anxious about having an incomplete project , I raced to get the first done so I could relax on the second one.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM

My problem isn't losing interest. I just end up with other priorities, like work, family commitments, another quilt with a due date (show or event for which it's being given), .... Also, I may take a class for a new technique, and may put something else down, or not finish the quilt from the class. It just may take a while getting back to it.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Most of my UFOs are blocks that I tried new techniques on or blocks that I can't decide if I want to set together with sashing or not . And some I just loose interest in!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:59 PM

My UFO's happen when I just don't like how it is turning out. I have one now that I am trying to figure out how to fix. I wouldn't take out but one at the time, so you don't get overwhelmed, then decide realistically if you will ever finish it. Some people like a challenge, so maybe post any you don't want to finish, for a trade or postage (what ever you like) with part of the deal being they have to post the finished product. It would be interesting to see what someone else came up with or if they finished it as originally planned.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 PM

Join the 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month! You'll find lots of support and be amazed at how much you can get done. I play a game with myself and try to decide each month how much I will able to finish and posted for the group to see before the end of the month.