Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Civil war sampler >

Civil war sampler

Civil war sampler

Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Default Civil war sampler

I just found a pattern for a civil war sampler and would like to use period type fabric. What colors and prints are typical for that period? Seems like most of the patterns are done in blues, greens, cream. I think I've seen civil war period fabric is some of the larger quilt shops but there is nothing close to us. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 PM

I would google Civil War fabrics and look at the colors. I am on vacation in Fl and I cannot remember who made the fabrics I collected for my 3 CW quilts. My relatives were killed at Gettysburg so I want to make some and incorporate their names, etc. I have all my fabric ready in three colors - blue, green, and reds. I really love the reds and blues together, and I will add the browns with the greens, and also browns with the blue. Then I want to make a few different smaller ones, including doll size, for wall hangings. I think most of mine are by Windham Fabrics. Just go to their website and look. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 PM

I made a CW sampler with a guild. Along with the blues, greens, and reds, we had a couple of rusty browns and dk. brown.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM

I think a mustard color was very popular at the time too.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM

There are lots of CW reproductions, in all colors, including purple, double pinks, chrome yellow, poison green, turkey reds, etc. Many of those vintage quilts contain alot of browns now because many of the dyes in use at the time were unstable and would turn to brown over time or when exposed to water or sunlight. The purples and greens did that often. That's why many of the vintage red and green applique quilts are now red with brown (used to be green) stems and leaves. The Turkey reds and indigo blues were popular simply because those colors were stable. If you want to stick to CW reproductions, just make sure you aren't buying a print from a circa date after the Civil War, because there are also alot of 1880's reproductions. You wouldn't want to include the black mourning fabrics, for example. Since there are no quilt shops close to you, check out CW reproductions for sale on etsy. Lots of good stuff there, at reasonable prices. ​(I've been known to buy there...)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Here are some guide words to do a search on http://wwww.quiltshops.com

This site will lead you to pictures of fabric from over 250 shops
Guide words:
Cocheco Mills Collection
Judie Rothermel
Old Savannah
Civil War prints
Paula Barnes
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Also the Jubilee Collection b​y Moda, designed by Barbara Brackman (my current obsession).
Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Also google Bonnie Blue all of hers are in reproductions.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM

There is a wonderful quilt shop in Waxahachie, Texas (just south of Dallas on I35) called Common Threads. It specializes in reproduction fabrics with the Civil War Era serving as their primary focus. Their website is below. You could get some great ideas from them. They are the originators of several BOMs including WOMEN OF COURAGE. The have beautiful fabrics and great sales! Best of luck!!!

www.commonthreadsquilting.com
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Barbara Brackman just started a Civil War Sampler. I think it's a block of the week. Some but not all of the sample blocks shown are done in reproductions.

HTTP://CIVILWARQUILTS.BLOGSPOT.COM/