Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt... >

Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt...

Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt...

Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM

Default Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt...

How many shirts did you buy for it? I know, I know, it will vary depending on the size of the quilt and the size of the shirts, but if I buy shirts specifically for this, am I looking to buy about 15 shirts or up to 30 shirts?

Any ideas I'd appreciate very much. Tomorrow a local used clothing store is having everything for about 30cents each. I went today to scout it out and there are quite a few cotton shirts--some nice fabrics. Thought I might brave the crowds, do my share of pushing and see about tackling the challenge of finding enough shirts for a quilt.

And I'm just curious if any of you have kept track.

Thanks for any advice. I've bought shirts before, then cut them all into strips and threw the strips into my strips bag, and never really kept track of how many it might take for a quilt.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I often hit the thrift store when they are having a bag sale (what ever you can fit in a bag for $5) and I just check tags to make sure they are 100% cotton- and appeal to me- i take them home, throw them into the laundry, get them washed & dried- then i deconstruct....remove all buttons, cut away cuffs, collar, plackets- pockets- sometimes seams- then i lay out the 'usable' fabric and either fold it up as is or cut it into specific squares, strips and put it in my stash- when i need a particular color, print, fabric i take it out & use it....recycled fabrics for me are just rounding out the stash fabrics.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM

I have kept a few of my hubby's old shirts to use. We are going to a Epic Jumble Sale next month and in the main Church hall everything is 25 pence so I will be looking out for Striped Shirts mainly (and anything else that takes my eye!). I love looking for reusable fabrics tho I have also been lucky enough to find a few bin bags full of Cotton Fabrics for 25 pence a bag. We don't have a car and it's 2 bus rides away (about 1hr 45mins travel) with 2 kids and me on a walking stick BUT it's worth it. Last trip I got 3 Vintage Pure Wool Blankets (1940's. I collect them, My daughter steals them away to her bedroom ). Turns out 2 where made just up the road from where we now live. Hubby books the day off work as he's found some amazing things at silly prices and he loves bargain hunting. We give the kids £5 each and they spend wisely as they know they can keep the change.

I suppose the amount of shirts needed would also depend on the size and style of shirt aswell. Some being slim fit some loose fit. At that price tho I'd just get all that I liked the colour/patterns on. I'm sure they'd all find their way into projects.

Last edited by Pimperella; 01-30-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

you can get 1/2-3/4 yard out of a small mans shirts, but save time and go straight to the xxl sizes. 2+ yards per shirt! You don't need very many shirts to end up with plenty and more for a quilt, the problem is getting variety without ending up with a house full of someone else's used shirts.

I had so much trouble finding all cotton ones I picked up 3 poly/cotton ones, Eeuuu do not like that fabric to work with at all. Even starched it doesn't keep its shape well it felt chintzy to my hand.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Well, there is the ever popular 7 shirt quilt:
http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html

I went overboard and bought dozens and dozens (and dozens). Then I couldn't figure out what to do with them, so I finally cut them all into charm squares. A short sleeved men's shirt will yield at least 30. For my quilts, I used at least 20 different, but I like scrappy. Here's a few that I did. Still have lots of charms left over!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t153884.html
Old 01-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ive never counted.. I just cut up as i go and stash them for when i have enough..
Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM

It depends a lot on the design and size you are looking for. 15 large long sleeved shirts would probably be adequate for a nice twin. Figure about 1/2 to 3/4 yard average useable fabric per shirt. If you are seeking long lengths for strip piecing or 8" squares you'll need more, vs smaller squares. I just buy 100% cotton shirts as I see them for $1 - 2 each. The larger the better, prefer long sleeves without worn elbows for maximum value. Definitely wash them well before cutting. Not a clue how many for a quilt as I've only "deboned" them as Bonnie Hunter calls it. I have about 4 bins worth waiting for me to cut them down into useable units. I love scrappy quilts with maybe 1 unifying element or color so I don't get dizzy looking at it.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM

PaperPrincess- I Love your quilts!

PaperPrincess- "For my quilts, I used at least 20 different, but I like scrappy. Here's a few that I did. Still have lots of charms left over!"
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t153884.html[/QUOTE]
Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I got about 40 5-inch squares from an extra large man's long sleeved shirt.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 PM

While there look at used wool or cotton blankets that could be used for batting. Some work out nicely