Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider ... yea, nay or no difference >

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

Old 02-05-2014, 04:29 AM

I bought a slider, found for me it was a total waste of money! I would suggest you can do FM. Here are some tips that worked for me.
!. Take your time and don't rush
2. buy some felt and practice on this. You will find it is much easier on felt, til your ready to move to your quilt.
3. Make sure you use a size 16 needle.
4. cut the finger tips out of your gloves, this allows you to move the quilt easy and thread needle, etc
5. start with bigger movement, not too close. practice C's and U's.
6. practice, practice, practice. You CAN DO IT.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 AM

I bought one and found it made no difference, so I changed my style. I couldn't do it using whole hands or finger tips on the surface of the piece. So now I roll or bunch my piece so I can rest my wrists on the surface of the machine table and using only my finger and thumb I pinch the pinch. All my movements are as easy as moving my fingers.
It's not orthodox I know and if you have and stiffness it might not work. Yes I need to reposition a lot but it works for me.
MaryKatherine
Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 AM
Administrator

i bought the slider but it didn't make a difference for me.
i don't think that was the slider's fault, though.
i have tried many times but can never get my sandwiches to flow smoothly under the needle using the "hands flat" method. i can't even do it using small practice pieces.

the only way i can achieve any degree of success is to grab bunches of it on the left and right, and lift it ever so slightly off the machine bed. the part under the needle remains flat against the machine.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 AM

I love my slider!!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Me too...I actually got it caught up and sewed it to the quilt. Taping didn't work for me either...the tape would catch on the quilt.
Me too. I found it to be a waste of a lot of money. Wouldn't stay put. I spent more time unrolling it from under my quilt. nearly sewed over it many times. I found that some Glad Press and Seal works much better. You just need to remove it after each session, or the adhesive sticks to your machine bed and makes it tacky.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
I removed my slider for the exact same reason.
me too.....if you sewing machine is NOT built in flush to your tabletop you will have trouble with the quilt getting stuck under the slider. I imagine it would work great on a flush tabletop.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
one of these days I will buy some silicone spray but I do have the supreme slider, which if you don't tape the thing down, gets caught up under your quilt as you move it. most frustrating. I removed mine!
I bought a large inexpensive silicone oven liner to use for a 'slider'; I covered its bottom with rubbery shelf liner and it stays exactly where I want it. I've surrounded my machine bed with vinyl covered foam board and the faux slider covers the areas where the foam board butts up against my machine, which is also a good thing. The only drawback is that I cannot use the knee lifter, but have never gotten in the habit of using one, so that's no big deal.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
one of these days I will buy some silicone spray but I do have the supreme slider, which if you don't tape the thing down, gets caught up under your quilt as you move it. most frustrating. I removed mine!
I agree. I have the same problem and consider it more of a nuisance than a help.
A lot of people have bought the silicone oven liners, which are larger, and seem to have better luck with those. I don't know about the pricing.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 AM

My supreme slider and machingers gloves were some of my best investments I have ever made for quilting. I would like to buy one of the larger sliders next.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The Supreme Slider was some of the best money I've spent.
I agree, I was terrible at FMQ then I bought a Slider about 10 yrs ago, it finally allowed my brain & hands to work together & my FMQ took off. I used it til I wore it out, I was going to buy another then realized I no longer needed it, a big day for me when I realized I could FMQ. It was the Slider that made the difference, best $20 I ever spent. I would definately recommend it to anyone having problems , plus use a Stretch needle in your machine, stops skipped stitches.