Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider ... yea, nay or no difference >

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM

I like my sliders. I have the two sizes.......one for my Bernina and one for my sit down Sweet Sixteen. I have always taped the smaller one down and have never had a problem keeping it in place. It is inconvenient to remove it to change the bobbin, but it is just part of the process. It's also inconvenient to run out of fabric, rip out a seam and stop to make lunch, but does it keep me from quilting?..........no!!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM

I used silicone spray that I got from Hancock's, then I couldn't find it, I think someone threw it away because it was almost used up. Well, I looked and looked at the stores, and all I could find is the OILY silicone which didn't want. I finally settled on Armor All and sprayed my sewing table, then sprayed a paper towel and went over the surface of bed of the machine, wiped dry, and it is now slippery. Not as good as the silicone, but it helps.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 PM

DH bought me a Supreme Slider for Christmas...at my request. I used it this past week for the first time to FMQ a fairly large quilt and I LOVE it. My machine is set into a cabinet - so everything is flush/even. My bernina's bobbin loads from the front - so I don't have to move or tape down the slider at all. Under these condition, I think its a great product. But if I had a top-load bobbin, or had to tape the slider down, I would not feel the same. Note, I also use some grippers called Batt Scooters...a very handy-dandy helper with FMQ. I can easily move/grip the quilt and just keep whirling and swirling along. Now if I could just keep my shoulders down I'd be in great shape!!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
I also use vinyl that I buy from walmart. It is nice and wide by the yard and I put it on my machine and the table that I quilt on. Make a little hole where the needle goes through and tape the vinyl down. It makes for a slippery surface and the quilt slides so much nicer and your arms don't get tired trying to control that weight. Hope this helps with your problem. Suzy
I have a slider but have also done what Suzy is suggesting. I like the fact that it is a much larger slippery surface. I have also sprayed it with silicone which I purchased at one of the local upholstery shops and is non oily so you don't have to worry about it leaving any residue on your quilt. It works remarkably well. If you want to test you might try a large black heavy duty garbage bag and cut the seams lay it flat and cover the surfaces of your machine and the table you have it in. Tape edges to secure it down.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 PM

I tried the supreme slider and really had good luck with it but yep I sewed it to a quilt so of course I wanted a new one,but the cost put me off so after joining Leah Days Craftsy class ,there was a post and there is a cheaper version and so I ordered and LOVE it. It is called a Sew Slip slider and I ordered it from Softexpressions.com its a 12 x 18 inches which is like the queen sized slider and here is the best thing the cost is $ 25.88 try it out, I will only use it and the price is right, they work great for FMQ.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Leah Day has a list of things to try to improve FMQ . Last year having my left hand in plaster could only use right to do FMQ . I purchased a circle, forgot name. Only problem was it only did a small area at a time. I also did do quilt as you go and found the blocks easier to quilt as I could grab the block with right hand and just place plaster on the other side as a gentle guide.
Good luck.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM

My slider stays in place if I run water over the back before putting it down to sew and dab dry (removes lint/dust that adheres due to static cling). I would think it would help with bulkiness rather than hinder. If you are using gloves and pressing down, slider should help with being able to move quilt.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 AM

I tried without slider with no luck. Supreme slider is the best.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM

I have the big slider, and a flush tabletop - no problems at all. I do rinse it off occasionally when it seems a little less clingy than normal. It is a bit of a pain to change the bobbin, but not a big deal for me. Actually, that gives me a reason to take a little break. I can definitely tell the difference when I forget to put the slider on.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM

I love my slider - and I don't have a problem with it staying put. Made all the difference in the world - that along with the gloves.