Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine... >

Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Default Considering buying a 2nd vintage machine...

Hey Ladies... and gents, if there are any...

My Elna Super had to go in the shop this week. Praying that it will be a simple repair.

In the meantime, I am seriously considering a second machine. Would like it to be vintage, as I'm a vintage kinda gal, and I've looked at new machines and - to be very frank - they appear to suffer from what I call CFCS (Crap From China Syndrome). Based on my experience with my Elna, nothing beats the machines from the 50s/60s even if yes, they are more expensive to repair sometimes, etc.

So... assuming there are other vintage machine fans here... if you were to buy (or grab for free on freecycle, craigslist, etc) a 2nd machine... what would you get? Are there any particular brands that made really great machines in the 50s/60s? My mother had a Singer, it was great and still runs like a charm but she is out of state.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, thank you!

Rachel
Old 02-08-2014, 02:21 PM

As many will answer, it depends on what you sew. But, for a straight stitch, zig-zag, my recommendation is a Singer 201 or 15 with a zig-zag and blind stitch attachment. Can't go wrong. The 15 will be more easily found and cheaper, but not much compares to the 201 for straight stitch no complicated sewing. A 15 clone is a good choice also and often much less expensive.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I have a Singer 401 Slant-O-Matic, I got at an estate sale with a left handed desk cabinet. I love it and got it for $150.00. Had all attachments and goes through 4-pieces of denim. I also have a 2004 Singe 2662. For the same reason. I don't like being with out. I have gotten nothing but good reviews on the Slant-O-Matic. I always have a piece of fabric with me when I go to a sale so I can test it out. One of the members stated she also takes needle with her. Kind of like your own little sewing tester kit. usually the fabric is the size of a layer cake.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM

Depends on what you want for capabilities and you're likely to get as many answers as there are people on this board. My favorite machine of the 6 we currently own is my Singer model 66 from 1948 though it's straight stitch only. I just love the ease of use and quality of the stitches it makes. It's also quiet and smooth running. It's just a joy to use.
Fortunately there's no reason you need to stop at just 2.
Rodney
Old 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM

The older Kenmores of the 60's and 70's are very solid workhorses. Some use cams for fancy stitching and parts are very readily available.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 PM

Silly Mamaborne. A "2nd" vintage machine? Which"one", you ask? Ba ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa.

Buy five or six.... Elna Green Girls! A Pink Atlas! A Solid Kenmore! A Singer 201!

Than, come on back and tell us all about how much you love them ALL!!!!!

Hee heee.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Found this online about Kenmore manufacturers:

Date: 6/25/09 6:50 PM
Sears source #s for sewing machines:

117=White (Also 2 models from Gritzner-Kayser in Germany that White imported for Sears.

120=New Process Gear Corporation. (A division of Chrysler when these were made in the 1950s.

148=Soryu in Japan

158=Maruzen in Japan (later Jaguar)

385=Janome
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM

I have to admit I nearly spilled my hot chocolate about "a second machine". I'm sure many of us here are well into our double digits in machines. Wonder how many are into triples (Not triplets- you evil minds)?

[QUOTE=mamaborne;6563000]Hey Ladies... and gents, if there are any...

My Elna Super had to go in the shop this week. Praying that it will be a simple repair.

In the meantime, I am seriously considering a second machine.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mamaborne View Post
if you were to buy (or grab for free on freecycle, craigslist, etc) a 2nd machine... what would you get?
Hi Rachel, assuming you're a quilter (I'm not) a vertical bobbin machine will serve you best. The Singer 15, 301 and featherweights are always in demand by quilters. Ron had a good suggestion: Singer 15 clones are excellent machines, made in Japan, cheap and usually chromed to the max
Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 PM

Welcome to the vintage section of the board. You'll find those old machines are very addictive. I personally love the Singer 301A slant needle. It's a good workhorse, easy to maintain and service (at home), and wonderful for free motion quilting.