Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing your quilts in progress >

Organizing your quilts in progress

Organizing your quilts in progress

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 AM

Default Organizing your quilts in progress

I have mainly worked on small projects to date. I am starting a large medallion style quilt and wondering if anybody has storage tips for a large quilt in progress.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM

I try to keep things under control with gallon zip-lock bags, especially if I have cut all the pieces and have to stop and go a lot during the piecing process.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 AM

I have 3 plastic containers with lids that snap down. I have them labeled "Project #1," "Project #2," and "Project #3". All the materials for the top fit it in them. The backing and batting are folded under each container. They are are in different stages, planning; fabric cut, or starting the piecing. I keep the rulers, pins, scissors, etc needed in each and then I can grab and go to work. That is my organization. Also, I keep my eye out for new material on sale and patterns that I find intriguing! Hope that might help you!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 AM

I go with the ziplock bag method as well. Particularly if I have more than one project going at a time. Label, label, label! 3x3 post-it notes are my next best friend. I pin them to cut pieces if need be for longer term (more than a day or so) storage or just plop them on the cut pile; the hunk of fabric that needs to be cut; whatever.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 AM

Plastic zip locks well labeled for the cut pieces. if possible i put all pieces for a block in one zip lock. i reuse them so it isn't so expensive after you get started. then i store all the ziplocks for a project in a plastic container of appropriate size. We will not talk about how many plastic containers I have with UFO's inside. My DH and I do most of the cutting together with him running the cutter. So we tend to cut everything out for a project all at once.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I buy the boxes made by Punch Studio at Tuesday Morning store. I use to use bags but these boxes are so much prettier. The boxes are so nice they could be a gift. I buy all that are on clearance when a new batch comes in.
http://punchstudio.com/collections.html
Old 02-11-2014, 06:32 AM

my daughter's school recently had a fundraiser sponsored by little caeser's. the pizza kits came in these great boxes; about 4" by 12" by 26". i collected them from other parents, gathering about 6 of them. they stack, i can write on them and they are upcycled.

win!

i keep my eyes peeled for reuseable things. it's not all economics - we're leaving this planet a mess. i try to reduce that mess whenever i can.

aileen
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 AM

I buy those boxes at Tuesday Morning too. They are beautiful! I just bought two of the large ones yesterday for $9.99. I have been reorganizing my sewing studio, and they look great on my shelves.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 AM

My projects are stored in acid free plastic boxes. The fabric, pattern, and specialty rulers are also stored in that box. I also keep notes regarding my progress on the quilt so I know where I am when I pick up the project again. If I have pieces cut out they are in labeled ziplock bags in the box. The boxes stack better than the bags do. Good luck with your projects!!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM

I too use large storage Zip Locs for projects and pieces. If I have too much fabric for one of those, I use plastic storage containers for everything.