ereaders and free books

Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
I can turn WIFI off on my Kindle (it's called airplane mode). Then the books don't disappear until I turn the WIFI back on. Of course, I can't load anything new to my Kindle in that time, but it does allow me to get through a long book.
Thanks you for this tip. I am a tablet newbie and wondered where my books keep disappearing to. Hate to keep bugging my poor DD.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Bookbub IS great! You can subscribe and select what type of books you are interested in and they will email you a list of free and other books every day! It lets you download them from several places. I use a Kindle reader app on my tablet so I usually go to Amazon Kindle to get the free book. It stays on your device until you delete it, then stays in your Kindle library until you delete it.

I also use Overdrive to get books from the library, but I quit when I found all the great books available for free that don't expire in two weeks.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
that's because you are borrowing from the library and they only have a certain amount of "digital" issues but on a kindle you are either purchasing or downloading a free book. Not borrowing. Our library has a way to increase the loan period on digital books - not forever, but maybe another week

Also, there is a Kindle app for the iPhone and iPad, which I use sometimes too, and those books stay forever til I take them off.
I too borrow kindle books from my library on overdrive. If I turn my wi-fi off the book does not disappear in the allowed two weeks. As long as I keep my wi-fi off my book stays on my kindle forever. It allows me time to read long library books.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

I love Pixelofink and get lots of books from there.

I did not know about Book Bub - will have to try it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 PM

I get daily emails with lots of free book downloads from: www.pixelofink.com and also www.inspiredreads.com. www.diningdownloads has recipes and cookbooks. The books that aren't free are usually $2.99 or less. You have to "buy" the books, even if there is no charge for it. I'm not sure how many books a Kindle will hold, but I'm up to about 875 now.

Last edited by Slow2Sew; 02-13-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 PM

I need to try some of these sites, because I find our local library limited on what books they have for the Kindle.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM

check out freebookspot.com. books in all categories
Old 02-15-2014, 08:58 AM

I have overdrive also, but I use it for audio books. I can program it to have the books due for I think a month. The only problem with that is that you can only have 6 books out at one time. Once you finish one it will not go off your list until the month is up. I'm not sure if this applies to regular books or not.