Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread color? >

What thread color?

What thread color?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Default What thread color?

How do you determine what color thread to use? If the colors in the quilt are blue with white background, should or could a blue thread be used over the white or should a white be used only? The backing is also blue. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM

I love using variegated threads. Are you asking for the quilting or the piecing? If piecing you can use a blue, or grey or whatever. for quilting a blue and white variegated thread looks really great depending on how you quilt it. I would use a blue on the back, close to the color of your fabric.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I use red thread top and bottom to piece unless I'm using white or pale fabric. If your stitch is balanced it really doesn't matter what color you use for piecing.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific and said it is for the quilting. I like the idea of the variegated thread and that is what I will try. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 PM

I watched a youtube video recently that suggested dark thread on light fabric was less appealing than light thread on dark fabric. Based on my two latest lap quilts, I concur. The light thread hardly shows on the dark fabric in one. The dark thread on the other makes the light squares look dirty--or like the marking lines didn't wash out.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM

AUDITION the threads you might choose pull out about 2 ft or more thread and lay it on the quilt do this with each color it will help you decide.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM

I agree with MAHart. I use Bottom Line white thread on top and bobbin for machine quilting and it practically disappears into the fabric, and after washing it, it really disappears.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM

I also agree with a lighter color. Perhaps a grey or light blue. And also audition them each by puddling the thread along the quilt to help decide.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
AUDITION the threads you might choose pull out about 2 ft or more thread and lay it on the quilt do this with each color it will help you decide.
I second what newbee said. I rarely match the color of the thread to the fabrics. If you have a blue quilt and use blue thread, you won't see any of the quilting. If you have a blue and white quilt and use either of those colors, you will see it on the opposite color...but not on the matching color. I try to find a thread that you can see, but does not pop out at you. Right now my go to colors are a med to light tan and spearmint. That green really surprised me! It seems to go with everything. I have even used up a big cone of it! I like the look of contrasting thread, but I have to be having a great quilting day...I can see EVERY bobble!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 AM

Some folks say they always use a neutral to quilt like a gray color.