Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Placemats for Round Table? >

Placemats for Round Table?

Placemats for Round Table?

Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Question Placemats for Round Table?

I'm still new at this (!), but I need to make some placemats for my round table. I've searched online and the few patterns I've found are rather blah at best.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking some newsprint and making a "Pattern" of the entire table (only 48"), folding the pattern in half, then in half again, creasing it well. Then cut out one of the sections, which would be a fourth of the size of the table, and trimming it down to the size that looks good to me, trimming down the pointy end at the middle of the table, and rounding the corners.

Seems like to me that would fit the curve of the table and, by the time I take a seam allowance, each would fit the table well. What do you all think?

Thinking of quilting this on my mother's antique Singer 127 machine, as the (I refuse to say "my") brand-new Toyota is still in the shop.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I have seen the shaped placemats you are describing but can't remember where. Your paper pattern will work just fine.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

here is a pattern for them http://sidquilts.blogspot.com/2012/0...able-free.html
but i think i like your method of doing it better... they'll have the right curve
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

I think your method is ingenious! I have seen curved placemats that are longer on the bottom than the top to fit on a round table but never made any.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I think your idea will work well.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM

How about a hexigon shape? When I had a round table (actually more of an octogon) I got a set of placemats that were kind of an oval octogon and they worked really well for the shape of the table.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM

I did almost what you are talking about - only did it on my cardboard grid quilting pad. Made the 1/4 arc of the table size as a guideline, then drafted a polygon shape that would allow for 6 place mats around the table. Worked a charm.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:11 PM

I think your pattern idea great, they will cover the table much better than the other ones will. And as a bonus you can write a tutorial on how you did it and share with the rest of us :-)

On a side note sorry about the new machine :-(
Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 PM

I made some for DD's table, basically did them as you are planning.

Here are a couple I like: http://gudrun.typepad.com/my_weblog/...way-day-2.html (scroll down, you'll see a picture. These are in a book she was advertising, but they could easily be made w/out it)

Or these, a free download pattern http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.h...172&cat_id=451
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM

I used your proposed method and it worked well. This link is for a pattern that uses a ver simple freezer paper method of "birthing" the placemats. I have made nmerous placemats using this method very easily.

http://smilespinners.com/Store/tabid...6/Default.aspx