Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso TG1100 users - question about the shut-off >

Oliso TG1100 users - question about the shut-off

Oliso TG1100 users - question about the shut-off

Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Oliso TG1100 users - question about the shut-off

I'm looking at the Oliso TG1100 with 8-minute shut-off. I've been reading a lot of the posts here and realize the customer service may be poor, and the quality of the iron itself may even be poor with possible spitting, breaking of the float feet, etc. - the reviews and comments vary widely. I want the "float" technology so bad I'm willing to take my chances with the other, but the shut-off feature has me confused. If it shuts off after sitting still for 8 minutes it is nearly always going to be off for me - I do a lot of piecing and will piece a few things, get up and press them, sit back down, piece some more, etc. I am often sewing at least 8 minutes in between pressings, obviously. What I want to know is what people mean when they say that doesn't bother them because it heats up really quickly - how quickly is that exactly? If I get up with a piece to iron and press whatever button I need to in order to get the iron back "on" will I count to 5? 10? 30? I could get the 30-minute shut off model, but if the 1100 heats up really really quickly like just counting to 5 or 10 I don't want to pay the extra money for the 30-minute shutoff. My daughter-in-law has a Rowenta and says the shut-off doesn't bother her at all, and she's a production person, she says it just heats up in no time and doesn't really turn completely off, but I have no idea what she means by that. She says hers blinks when it's about to shut off.

Also, with piecing mostly cotton and wanting a really hot iron to get nice flat seams, does this iron do the job for you when it's heated to the max setting?

If I get it I'll get it at Amazon and have confidence that they will make good on any defects in workmanship - they are really good about that. But my red flag sensor is flapping.

Last edited by kathyathome; 03-02-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM

I finally purchased an Oliso iron last Christmas when Joann's had a sale (it was normally $ 120 - I got it for half that) - anyway I was worried about the same thing - I would be forever re-starting the iron. Well, I must say that I do the same as you - but I have found that my iron re-heats very quickly - and sometimes it seems like I get a little bit longer than 8 mins. regardless - I don't find that I have to wait long - its very quick. I must say that it takes some getting used to the feet down feature - I thought I was going to break them off because I couldn't get used to the up and down automatic feet. Now I am used to it and I love this iron - I've not had any problems - I love how hot it gets and how quick it heats up. I am spoiled now by the feet feature (by the way - you can turn off the auto feet thing) - so I recommend the iron if you get a good price. I have the Blue TG-1050.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:43 PM

I have had the blue one for a couple years now and not a stitch of trouble. It reheats very quickly. And I find if I have water in it and leave the "lid" for the reservoir open a hair, instead of completely closed, it doesn't drip at all. When/if it dies. ..or falls to the floor (gasp) I will get another one.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Is this the yellow iron?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 AM

The yellow one has an optional 30-minute shut-off, the one I'm looking at is the black/gray one, between the blue and yellow pricewise. Joann stores have now excluded irons from all their coupons, but Amazon has pretty good prices.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM

I have the gray one. I love it. It heats up really fast, not sure how long it takes, but, I move the iron, then get my pieces to press and the iron is hot. My iron is about 12 feet from my sewing machine.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM

What is the "feet up, feet down" thing?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM

AnnieSue you can see videos of how it works if you google Oliso irons and check videos, but basically when you take your hand off the iron feet come up out of the pressing plate and lift the iron off the board - you don't have to tip it up on its butt like other irons. I really want this feature and decided to take the plunge. I found an ebay seller who had excellent feedback, runs a "mom and pop" business selling sewing machines and vacuums and knows about the leaking and poor customer service issues. She assured me that if I get a defective one she will replace it at no charge to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed - from the bazillion reviews I've read people either hate it because it leaks or the feet don't work or get stuck, or they really love it and have no problems with any of that at all. I got a good enough price that I'm going to go with the yellow one for the 30-minute shutoff and the extra long cord.

I want to thank everyone who answered my questions. Sometimes I just obsess about something for so long it makes me sick, and the only way to solve the dilemma is to make a decision and hope for the best. Now I can get back to work!