Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to buy crocus cloth??? >

Where to buy crocus cloth???

Where to buy crocus cloth???

Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Where to buy crocus cloth???

The thread on my longarm is now breaking after only a few inches of stitching. I've changed my needle twice. Played with the tension, etc. From several other forums and help lists, I'm thinking I might have a burr somewhere along the line on one of my thread guides. I haven't tried the nylon test just yet. Assuming I have a burr (or several burrs), everyone recommends running a piece of crocus cloth through all of the thread guides.

What exactly is crocus cloth, and where do I buy some? I called a local sewing center that sells and repairs sewing machines and rents out a longarm. When I asked if they carried crocus cloth, the lady told me they don't sell any fabric.

Help?????
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM

Is this similar to emery cloth? I buy emery cloth at some hardware stores or hobby stores (more expensive sometimes) when polishing glass for jewelry and such. It is available in various grades.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Amazon has both crocus cloth and emery cloth. The difference may be in the type of abrasive used. 600 grit is a fine grade and seems to be what Amazon labels as crocus cloth. Emergy cloth on Amazon comes in different grits, with 800 grit being super fine. The "cloth" part just means that the sanding medium is backed with cloth rather than paper, making it more bendable. I'm thinking anything 600 grit or finer with a cloth back would be fine for a sewing machine. Amazon offers these in bulk sizes. I think you could get just one sheet from a local hardware store or hobby store for considerably less.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM

to make sure you've checked everything...... did you completely unthread and rethread, just like changing spools?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 PM

I had this problem and like you changed everything except the thread once I did that it was okay. tried the same thread again and it did the same thing so with my issue it was the thread and it was a good brand called the company and they replaced the thread.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 PM

I just used this thread and quilted about 5 quilts with no problems. I don't think it's the thread. I've re-threaded the machine every time the thread breaks. Tomorrow I will try to drag an old pair of nylons along the thread guides to see if it snags at all.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Try your local hardware store; I believe our's carries it.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM

I had shredding problems off and on for a couple of months. Changed the needle, thread, rethreaded, oiled, cleaned, used a diff bobbin...called tech support. Christmas happened, then a trip to my parents, then the flu. FINALLY got back into the sewing room...shred. Talked to my dealer at a show and the owner of my long arm company was there. He offered to come to my house. Guess what it was? a HUGE blob of oily lint...lurking on the bobbin case housing ...as it turns..it was wedged up in there. Took HIM 20 mins to find it. I suggest a diff bobbin, and a good session of cleaning..and maybe an extra drop of oil. I have found that blob there again, but NOW I know to trouble shoot there. Another lesson on my troubleshooting list! Good luck on your search...
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM

I've been told that if your thread is breaking, it is getting stuck someplace. Just need to find the someplace.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM

FWIW, emery cloth comes in a range of finenesses and is covered with abrasive grit. Crocus cloth is covered with iron oxide. It is used by machinists and jewelers to smooth surfaces. If you want to try emery instead, I would suggest using the very finest (highest number grit) you can find.