Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lining up seams >

Lining up seams

Lining up seams

Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

press your seams to one side- all in one direction on one row- then in the opposite direction on the next row so the seams *nest* when lined up- then as you sew them they will 'snug' up to each other creating perfect match points.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I don't press my seams open, I press to one side. I am careful that one row is pressed to the right, the next to the left. This way the seams nest, minimizing slipping. Also, if it's possible, feed the row so that the loose edge of the seam on the top gets fed into the presser foot first. The feed dogs will pull the seam on the bottom butting it closer to the one on the top. It's not always possible to do this, but I try!
This is the way I do it to. You want the seams to nest next to one another. I am also a pinner and a starcher so that the fabric won't shift.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Definitely don't press open seams, have the top seam going toward the machine and the bottom seam going toward you so the machine pulls/pushes them together tighter. But, I think pins factor in also. If you are using the ones with the yellow ball on the end, they are too thick. Several companies, I know Dritz is one, make glass head pins. They take less "bite" out of the fabric and the pin itself doesn't cause shifting.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:34 PM

I sometimes press seams open - sometimes to the opposite sides so they 'nest' .. but either way.. 1) pin with the point toward the cut edge and if i think i might have trouble 2) put a dot of Elmers washable school glue at the matched seams. It takes some time on the front side, but it goes much more quickly during the sewing process....and they will line up.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

My secret -- Elmer's washable school glue. Whether I nest seams or iron them open, when it's important that they match perfectly I glue baste before sewing. To do this I go to the ironing board, put a pin straight down through the exact intersection I want (the pin is a scant 1/4" in from the cut edges, where the sewing line will go), lift up the seam allowance and put a tiny dot of the Elmer's washable school glue in there, then press with a hot iron for a few seconds. This dries the glue. I take the pin out and then open up the fabric to make sure that the seams are exactly where I want them. Only after all these matches have been done do I go to the sewing machine and sew the seam.

Edit: I should mention that there is enough padding on my ironing board (it is a layer of Warm and Natural covered with cloth) so that I can put a pin straight down into it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I don't press my seams open, I press to one side. I am careful that one row is pressed to the right, the next to the left. This way the seams nest, minimizing slipping. Also, if it's possible, feed the row so that the loose edge of the seam on the top gets fed into the presser foot first. The feed dogs will pull the seam on the bottom butting it closer to the one on the top. It's not always possible to do this, but I try!
Like so many others, that is what I do also. I do put a pin at each intersection. I know that many people do not use pins; but if I use a long, very thin pin, my seams match perfectly.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM

I think squaring your block is the way I got to lining them up.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 AM

I'm the odd man out here. I press most of my seams open. When I pin two blocks/rows together here is what I do. Place a pin straight up/down through the seam that you are matching about 1/4" in from the edge. Closely (doesn't have to be exact) line up your underneath block/row and place that same pin straight up/down through the seam of that block/row about 1/4" from the edge. Holding that up/down pin as straight as possible, put pins horizontally through both layers of fabric as close to either side of that up/down pin as possible. Repeat this process for each seam to be matched throughout your block/row.

If you end up with some bagging/flopping fabric, put the baggier side on the bottom when you sew and let the feed dogs help ease that excess. If it's a lot of excess, tug lightly on the seam as you are sewing on it and it will stretch the top fabric to help ease that excess as well.

I was never overly successful pressing to one side and getting my seams to 'nest' the way lots of folks are able. This is why I started pressing my seams open. And when you are dealing with blocks with lots of seams, I think the blocks lay flatter when seams are pressed open.

Take your time, take a few deep breaths and you'll be fine. Remember, this isn't a race. We're supposed to be enjoying the process.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 AM

It depends on the pattern I'm making which way I do seams. I've been taught if lots of seams...press open. I've also been taught press (never iron) to the dark side (no dark side just pick a direction). Then I've been taught to nest (one way then the other way). There is no right way or wrong way. Sometimes the seam will "talk to you" about which way it wants to lay (sounds crazy I know). Remember there are no quilt police and whichever way you decide to do your seams will be the "right" way for you. Just relax and enjoy the quilting experience!

Anita
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 AM

Make sure your machine is in good working order too. I have a machine that will shift the seams every time I sew on it (so I don't use it much). It might be something to do with the feed dogs or something but I haven't figured out how to fix it yet.