Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lining up seams >

Lining up seams

Lining up seams

Old 03-14-2014, 07:38 AM

You might want to take a look at this.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t243146.html
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 AM

When I have seams that need to match up I use a little dab of Elmer's Glue on the seam. This alleviates the pins and my seams match up.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 AM

I found "fork pins". They are pricey, but, I can sew right up to them & pull them out. Perfect every time. They are by Clover & I got them on Amazon. Well worth the price!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
the neat thing about not pressing your seams open is that you can nest the seams against each other. That way works best for me. I've heard that some people use Elmer's glue, but I haven't tried that method.

I've used Elmer's Washable glue when matching seams and it works very well. But it means (for me at least) standing at the ironing board, applying the dot of glue, ironing it dry, and moving on to the next seam. If I can match them by pinning I don't bother with the glue. But you seem to be having problems with the pinning so you might try the glue. Just make sure the seams really match, though, because pulling the glued seam apart is not fun, either.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I am a Virgo and therefore a perfectionist by nature, so I understand where you are coming from. That said, I quilt because I love it, and I have learned over the years that nobody is perfect, so I give myself some slack on being "perfect". Pressing seams to one side on one row and the opposite in the next row usually gives me good results. I haven't tried it, but I saw a quilting tutorial where a pin was placed straight up, making sure it went 1/4" on both sides, then pins placed on either side to stabilize the piecing and that seemed to work. The Amish deliberately leave a mistake in their quilts, as only God is perfect. Fortunately for me, I never have to deliberately leave a mistake. LOL. Just be patient with yourself, perhaps basting just the place where pieces come together, then checking and if all is well, sew with a regular stitch.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM

NJ Quilter that is exactly the same way I do it, I never seemed to be able to nest my seams when pressing to one side,open seams are great when you have points of a star coming together.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I don't press my seams open, I press to one side. I am careful that one row is pressed to the right, the next to the left. This way the seams nest, minimizing slipping. Also, if it's possible, feed the row so that the loose edge of the seam on the top gets fed into the presser foot first. The feed dogs will pull the seam on the bottom butting it closer to the one on the top. It's not always possible to do this, but I try!

This is how do it.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by luckydiver17 View Post
What is everyone's secret on how to sew your rows so that your seams line up perfectly? I press my seams open and am just working with squares, nothing fancy. I have tried pinning, not pinning, etc but it seems like things still shift/stretch by the time the needle goes over the seam. I have resorted to sewing over JUST the seam so I have less stitches to rip out if it doesn't line up and then going back and sewing the rest of the line once my seams are lined up which is taking forever. If you can't tell, I'm a perfectionist
I am neither expert nor perfectionist but here goes. I have a lot of trouble matching seams on my rag quilt. They're so bulky. I saw on SWN a tip she Gave. In addition to pinning on either side of the seam and nesting try a u shaped pin (tidy pin) for both sides of the seam with the same pin. They're inexpensive from WM or JF. Pinning either side worked pretty well on the last rag quilt I made but I'm going to try the tidy pins next time.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:44 AM

I am going to side with the "try not to be a perfectionist" group here. If you keep that up, you take the fun out of what your doing, and when you do that, you just keep more mistakes, and then pretty soon, you have put what ever your working on over in the UFO pile. Making quilts is supposed to be relaxing, fun, enjoyment, etc... try the suggestions above and they are sure to work, but don't fret if one is not perfect : )
Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 AM

Double check your blocks to insure they are all the correct size. This will definitely help when lining up blocks and rows.