Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lining up seams >

Lining up seams

Lining up seams

Old 03-16-2014, 05:55 AM

Go to Craftsy.com, click on the 2012 block of the month free class. This is where I learned to line up my seams. Works every time to get the perfect line. It is all in the ironing of the seams to one side and the opposite pressed to the other side. Then you nest them together and pen. I have found that you tube can be helpful in learning something new. I watch you tube all the time for quilting, crochet and knitting.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by debstoehr View Post
No one has mentioned using fork pins. I have always pressed to one side and nested the seams, but had problems with the slipping and not matching. I came across fork pins at a LQS and have been very pleased with the results. Fork pins are very fine and are like having two pins in one. Nest the seams and place one side of the pin on one side of the seam and the other side of the pin on the other side of the seam. You only have to pin once and no more slippage. These are one of my "can't do without" notions.
The day I discovered fork pins was a very good day for me! I swear by them! Like Deb said, nest the seams together and one fork pin will pin each side of the seam, keeping them from moving.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 PM

I, too like for those seams to line up perfectly. I do not press my seams open but if I did, I would line up the seams and stick a pin through the seam with pin going down the seam. I would sew just to the pin before removing it. I think you would have less slippage that way.

Originally Posted by luckydiver17 View Post
What is everyone's secret on how to sew your rows so that your seams line up perfectly? I press my seams open and am just working with squares, nothing fancy. I have tried pinning, not pinning, etc but it seems like things still shift/stretch by the time the needle goes over the seam. I have resorted to sewing over JUST the seam so I have less stitches to rip out if it doesn't line up and then going back and sewing the rest of the line once my seams are lined up which is taking forever. If you can't tell, I'm a perfectionist