Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need opinions on my wallhanging >

I need opinions on my wallhanging

I need opinions on my wallhanging

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Default I need opinions on my wallhanging

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467278[/ATTACH]
I am making a wallhanging for my DGS's college graduation. He is going to seminary in the fall and I think he will like it (sure hope so, it has taken me forever to make). I am going to use black thread to zig zag between the colors and changes in colors to make it look like stained glass. I am planning to use a light yellow for the cross in the center, the cross in the picture is just a paper template.
My questions are:
1. What kind of black thread do you recommend?
2. Should I use interfacing behind the cross?
3. What should I use for batting?
4. What color do you recommend for the border and the backing?
Attached Thumbnails dscf2734-resized.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I like it the way it is ... while I see your idea of making it more stained glass like, I would have the fear that it might take away from the effects you have going with all the colours. The way it is pieced now, it has a good sense of that stained glass already. Of course, I am somewhat guessing as we have no perspective as to the true size of each of the pieces, or the overall piece.

Are all the different colours/fabrics sewn together? Or have you done it with a fusible?

For the cross, I would stick with a bright white, keeping with the traditional look. I'd make sure it is a solid fabric, either on it's own or with a backing to ensure it does not let the colours under it show thru. Some of that might be sorted out, in how you choose to attach the cross.

My visions for the border, would be a royal purple with a yellow/gold inset flange. Again, colours that have religious significance. Audition a few things and see what looks the best.

Backing ... could be most anything!
You could keep with the purple or any colour or print you choose.

Depending on what sense of humour your DGS has, you might choose something totally unexpected ... is there something else in which he has an interest and even passion? Perhaps his favourite sport? cars? etc. I make this suggestion as a good friend of mine is a Minister. When she was ordained, she received the serious religious things, but also appreciated those which spoke to her sense of humour ... and that has made her a much-loved Minister to any who have come to know her.

He's going to be quite impressed at what you have created for him!

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-15-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful! Is it fused in place or just laid out? I think I might piece the background together if it is still loose. I too like the effect you have now without the black leading. If you want to add black leading, I would look for the prepared 1/4 inch bias leading. You could lightly zig zag down the sides without having to do a dense zig zag to cover the raw edges. You might need to add something behind the cross if the background is heavier with all the leading.
I would maybe use Hobbs 80/20 batt (extra layer behind the cross for a trapunto look) and single straight stitch down the black bias for quilting. Whatever you decide will be lovely!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM

I agree with QuiltE, it is lovely without the black zig zag or bias tape. If you have any extra fabric make a sample and try with the black and see how you like it. I would bet you like it better without.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Your wall hanging is beautiful -- I'm sure it has taken you lots of hours! You should use an interfacing behind the cross otherwise you may have problems with the lettering puckering. I like the muted affect in the wall hanging right now. It might be interesting to take a colored picture and draw the black lines in to see if you like that also. Seeing it from a distance is totally different than seeing it up close. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:51 AM

This is just beautiful!!! I can't add to the suggestions, as I am not too good at visualizing in my head.......but I had to tell you how beautiful this is!!!

Dina
Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Beautiful, I took your photo to my photo shop and turned it, then I could see the yellows coming from the ends of the cross, I would definitely do the cross and the yellows in a yellow thread they need that emphasis and when you addition the black thread try shade of grey also, it is a wonderful color for this type of work.
Did you mean that the cross it self would be yellow?
Old 03-15-2014, 01:18 PM

I'm no expert but I would have the cross white...not yellow. No other ideas.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:49 PM

I love what you have done so far. Somewhere I saw someone's work of art and they had used black yarn which that has couched over to make it look like stained glass. It looked beautiful.

QuiltE's suggestion of deep purple for the border.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I like it the way it is ... while I see your idea of making it more stained glass like, I would have the fear that it might take away from the effects you have going with all the colours. The way it is pieced now, it has a good sense of that stained glass already...
i agree with quilte on this