Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bobbin Winder not working on converted to treadle Singer 15-90 >

Bobbin Winder not working on converted to treadle Singer 15-90

Bobbin Winder not working on converted to treadle Singer 15-90

Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Bobbin Winder not working on converted to treadle Singer 15-90

Well I was ecstatic, I was successful in converting my singer 15-90 to a treadle. (The Singer 66 Red Eye was converted to a Hand crank...the machines switched bases.) The 15-90 worked beautifully!!! I was thrilled. Then I ran out of thread on the bobbin. Investigating, I realized that the treadle belt does not fit onto the groove on the spoke but a little deeper. Thus, the belt is no longer available for the bobbin winding mechanism to push up against for turning the winder. (I have attached a picture...hope it is good enough to show what I am describing.)

I thought, no big deal. I'll just buy a cheap side winder. I bought a side winder only to discover that it does a really lousy job of winding thread onto the bobbin. The thread is way to loose on the bobbin..minimal tension.

I am really upset...my big goal of using my treadle 15-90 is now on a major hold. Any suggestions would be truly welcome.

I never really liked the 15-90 as an electric. The machine would be really sporadic/jerky when I stepped on the foot pedal. Therefore, I do not wish to return the machine to an electric.

It took me a while to get up the nerve to do my 2 conversions. Once they were done, I was really happy now I am sad again. Is this the end of my treadle 15-90? Did I do something wrong with my treadle conversion. I basically just pulled off the motor added on the spoke wheel and the treadle worked. Is there another groove piece that would line the belt up with the bobbin winder that I missed adding in front of the spoke wheel during the conversion?
Or any suggestions of a good working side winder? (The model I bought is a Simplicity delux side winder)

I love reading all your info on this forum. The bug seemed to have stopped with my Singer 15-90, Red Eye, Singer 127 (that I would like to sell),Featherweight that has the model number filed off of it and my Viking Diamond. My goal was always to do quilt piecing with my Singers and the fancy embroidery with the Viking.

Thanks, Kathy
Attached Thumbnails photo-17.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM

The bobbin winder tire should ride on the hand wheel, and not the belt. From your picture, it looks to be lined up correctly.

I tried to compare my 15-88 with my 15-91, and everything looks similar, but I couldn't tell if the diameters of the hand wheels were the same or different. Is yours not engaging? You can loosen the whole mechanism and shift the tire in or out if needed.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Power Poster

On some you have to totally remove that screw, Mark. It is likely the upper most screw that holds on the bobbin winder. It has an elongated part below the screw then the machine. The elongated part could be made longer or just remove the screw when winding a bobbin. I love my little sidewinder.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:31 AM

My sidewinder also is a great little machine. No tension issues. I think you should read the manual on yours.