Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting group in west Houston >

quilting group in west Houston

quilting group in west Houston

Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Default quilting group in west Houston

We just moved to Houston to be near our children due to my husband's health problems. I've visited them out here a lot so I kinda know my way around and I have been to the International Quilt Show 5 or 6 times. My problem is that I left behind my quilting buddies. We met every Tuesday. It was informal and fun. We helped each other with problems, we made charity quilts and quilts for charity auctions. I'm looking for a group like that out here. I do note that I keep saying 'out here' like it is another planet. It does seem that way sometimes having come from a small town and living in the country for nearly 50 years. I do know that Houston is Quilting Central. I don't mind joining a guild, but I would really like to find a friendly group of ladies that meet and chat and eat and support each other. Does anyone know a group like that near I 10 and Memorial? I can't leave my husband for long, so it needs to be near. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I do plan on going to the nearest Joanne's t see if they know anyone. I just haven't had time yet. Thanks, bj
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 AM

I bet you hook up with quilters fairly soon. I am in Texas, but I am way too far to do you any good. (Wichita Falls) I know that Houston has a lot of quilters, so it won't be long.

Dina
Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I am in Texas, but I am way too far to do you any good. (Wichita Falls) I know that Houston has a lot of quilters, so it won't be long.

Dina
Interesting! My husband's aunt and her family lived in Wichita Falls for many years. She died recently at age 94. Her children returned her body to the beautiful mountains of NC which she loved dearly from having grown up here. We visited there a couple of times.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I would try emailing this quilt guild:
http://www.whqg.org/
asking if they have a list of smaller "bee" type groups who are looking for new members. Describe your situation in the email. Chances are they can direct you to someone in your area who will know specifics.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

http://www.qggh.org/

http://www.quiltguilds.com/texas.htm
these may help too
Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

The fastest way to get into a small group is probably to join a guild. You might also see if there are quilters that meet at the senior center or library.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:12 PM

We used to live in the Sugar Land area, and there is a great quilt shop on 59 called Quilter's Emporium. The owner, Roseanne is lovely, as is the shop. They offer lots of classes and informal sew-ins at their shop. I'm sure she has information about quilt guilds as well! Good luck!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:12 PM

My LQS has a free sit & sew twice a week. I've been in on Fridays when they do one of them & there are usually at least 4-6 women there. I think the bring brown bag lunches. As a nice bonus you can use the big tables, cutting table & ironing station. Just bring your project & machine.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM

When I lived in West Houston several years ago I went to a quilt group at the Farm/Ranch Extension Club (not sure that is the correct name) in Bear Creek on Hwy 6. I had just retired from teaching and only attended a few meetings before I moved. The ladies were friendly and fun and very welcoming-they met on Thursdays.