Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
libby, libby, libby has no label, label, label >

libby, libby, libby has no label, label, label

libby, libby, libby has no label, label, label

Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
When people post that they want to use these pens so that their quilt will be able to be recognized in 50-100 years, I only smile. We've had that quilt less than 20 years and if I used it a lot, there would be no pen marks at all left. People who make the labels for posterity should use thread and not ink if the quilt is to be used and not just a decoration.
I have a pillow gifted to me by a friend almost 30 years ago with very nice embroidery on it. It has never been washed, and is really rarely used. But the thread embroidered on it is disintegrating. I can still see the pattern, but some of lines are missing. I don't know where those molecules went, LOL but they are gone.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 AM

I'm wondering if we embroideried our names with regular sewing thread if it would last longer. I have a crazy quilt that I made sometime in the early 90s that has some of my embroidery coming apart. It is a lap quilt and washed more frequently than my bed quilts.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 AM

I am so glad you want to label your quilts. I have been making labels for several friends who have quilts various family members made for them. They want to make sure the information is on the quilt for future generations. Most of mine I have done on muslin with Pigma pens and then I carefully unstitch part of the binding and sew it in and resew the binding. I chose this method as some of them have been "story" quilts showing special events in their lives and they wanted the whole story told.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM

We just discussed quilt labels in our hand quilting group this week. When I finished my first quilts I used a sharpie thin line marker and wrote all the information on the under side all the way around the quilt binding. Then I started using the pigma pens and put the label on after it was quilted. ( Found out that was totally wrong, too.) Do not own a embroidery machine and add a lot of information such as who, what, where, name of pattern, recepient, and year quilt was finished. Plans now, are to make a label, write with a permanent pen all information so that when it is quilted it will be attached as well as when the binding is sewn. I add too much information to embroider it. Have not understood directions for feeding material through the printer. (Too scared I'll mess up my printer.)
Old 03-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I have a pillow gifted to me by a friend almost 30 years ago with very nice embroidery on it. It has never been washed, and is really rarely used. But the thread embroidered on it is disintegrating. I can still see the pattern, but some of lines are missing. I don't know where those molecules went, LOL but they are gone.
That is sad! Makes a person appreciate quilts and other fabric items we see in museums, huh?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Does this count as a label?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Auntevie; 03-21-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468384[/ATTACH]Close up
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Sorry for the double pic!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I'm wondering if we embroideried our names with regular sewing thread if it would last longer. I have a crazy quilt that I made sometime in the early 90s that has some of my embroidery coming apart. It is a lap quilt and washed more frequently than my bed quilts.
I agree with the sewing thread for embroidery on quilts. Polyester thread would last longer than cotton thread also, but I don't suppose there is a huge difference.