Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company >

Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

For some reason I think cats and quilters sort of just go together - that's why I decided to see if anyone on this great quilting board may know of someplace in Minnesota, or fairly close to the southeast corner of Minnesota where one may find a Tonkinese cat/kitten. I've seen them in pictures and read about the breed - some describe them as a cat that is about as close to a dog & monkey as you can get - sounds funny, but that and some of their other traits has me sold on wanting one to share my home and talk with after work . I've checked out our local pet rescue resources, and done some web searches, but have not found anything in my area - mostly east coast and west coast.
If any of you quilters has a Tonk, maybe you could post a pic so everyone else can see how beautiful they are.
Thank you!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:38 PM

We had a Tonkinese Cat. Our J.D. was 11 years old when we had to put him down. He was the sweetest cat we ever had. And yes, its true, he acted like a dog. He was waiting for me at the door when he heard the garage door open, laid down like a dog. We rescued him from a shelter in Alabama. I don't have a picture of him on my computer, but they are the most beautiful cats I've ever seen. Truly miss him!! Good luck on your search.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

This one is further north than you:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tonki...66883660008242
Here's one in the Twin Cities:
http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/ton.html#Minnesota
This lists a breeder in Austin, MN:
http://www.acfacat.com/tonkinese.htm
One more in MN:
http://www.tonkinesebreedassociation.org/Referrals.htm
Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Thank you for the reply - I knew someone on the board would know of them! As I have searched many of the sources on the internet, many are no longer breeding, or available to get info. from, so many are dead ends. This being the case I wonder what's involved with starting breeding once I finally get in touch with someone with cats...

Last edited by pjnesler; 03-26-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 PM

We had two Tonks.

The first was from the Pound. She was 2 and had beautiful blue eyes. She looked like a dark Siamese. We did not know what her breed was. At first we were worried that she would be a yowler like a Siamese, but she was very quiet.

Then we got Saboo. Saboo was a papered pure bread Tonk and looked exactly like Mitzie. He had quite the story. We got him when Vern died. Vern was a local Sheriff and was serving papers on someone. The cat was in the house he was serving and the kids were abusing the cat. After serving the papers he took the cat. The 'owner tried to use the registration papers to get the cat back (proof of ownership), but Vern just said no way.

Saboo and Mitzie both loved to snuggle under the covers. Saboo loved water and would get into the bath with me.

We generally look for mutt cats and dogs, but if I found another Tonk at a shelter I would get it, male or female.

One thing, they seem to be better as only cats. We had the Mitzie, then a mutt cat and she never liked the mutt. When Saboo came along he was okay withe mutt cat, but did not like Mitzie. Or that could just be who they were. We got both Tonks as adults.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Too bad you don't live closer you could have mine! She keeps getting 'threads, fringe' etc in her throat cuz she chews on my pillows, thread if she sneaks into my sewing room which I keep closed, and throw blankets. Kitty is our 2nd Tonk, our first was the very best cat we've had in 30 yrs of owning cats. Unfortunately my dd took her when she moved and didn't listen to us about keeping her in the house, she let her out and a coyote got her, I was livid, poor kitty.

there is a website, I think it is something like 'rescue me' where you can put what kind of cat or dog you are looking for and they will send you an email when the breed comes up for adoption.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 AM

i have also had Tonk's, a sister pair. that were taken from their mother too soon. They chewed sweaters etc. I was toldit was because they weren't really weaned when they were taken from mother and that this is a characteristic behavior of Tonks weaned early, so watch for that when you find one. Sounds like kitty in previous post may have same issue.
or could be insatiably curious like my alaska ginger kitty.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM

We had a Tonkinese. Absolutely the best cat ever. He would "talk" to you and had the best temperament I have ever seen in a cat. We had to put him down when he was 20 y/o. We miss him greatly. Couldn't ask for a better pet.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

From the pictures they are beautiful cats ...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM

We had a tonk that we rescued as an adult from a shelter - her name was Tipper. She was dark brown and had the most gorgeous aqua eyes. She demanded your attention and loved everyone. She was my quilting companion in the sewing room. She would sit on a cushion by the window but when she thought I had sewed enough, she would get in my lap and make me love on her. I miss Tipper everyday - she was like a dog in a cat's body. We had the privilege of having her in our lives for almost 3 years. We had to put her to sleep because she had a stroke and developed fluid around her heart. I am always on the lookout for another Tonk and would rescue one in a heartbeat if I found one locally. They are definitely people cats. Hope you can find one - they are AWESOME.