Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about pattern making >

Question about pattern making

Question about pattern making

Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Question about pattern making

How do you all go about taking some material and coming up with your own pattern?
Graph paper? Wing it? Or do you use a pattern you have done before?

And if you see just a picture of a quilt you like without a pattern, how do you go about doing it yourself?

I see some very creative (way beyond any of my imagination) quilts up here and can't for the life of me figure out how they were conceived. :-)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I use EQ7 for design. Inspiration comes from quilts online, in quilt shows, in books and magazines, just about anywhere.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I know a lot of quilt pattern designers and they all use the Electric Quilt software. I like EQ7 I can import a picture of a quilt, isolate a block and use the trace tool to trace the bock pieces and convert it to a block pattern with rotary cutting instructions. There is no how to put the quilt block together for a quilt top instructions on EQ though. I use the quilt layout to rotate and flip block and block pieces to get the lay out I like.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Ouch! Pricey. Good to know if I ever get good enough to invest that kind of money. :-) Thanks.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

If it is a simple block I draw it out on graph paper. Once it is prefect on the graph paper, I cut the pieces apart to add the seam allowance.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I can answer your second question. If I see a quilt I like, I can usually make it without a pattern. If you can print off a copy of the quilt, that's very helpful. I start by drawing lines on the picture, trying to figure out where the repeating blocks are. Keep in mind that many complicated looking patterns are really 2 different blocks that are alternated. Another thing that can make a complex pattern is a pieced sashing. Another thing to try is to turn the picture 45 degrees as some quilts are set on point.
After you locate the blocks, you can get some graph paper and lay it out. Blocks are usually grids of patches: 3X3, 4X4, 5X5 and 7X7 being common. Look for the simplest patches that you recognize, like squares, and HSTs. When the block is sketched out in the grid, you can then look at it and see if you can simplify. Are there 2 HST's that you could combine into a flying geese unit? A couple or 3 squares that can be a rectangle? (Just remember that you have to piece it, so some of these may need to stay simple!)
Once you have the block laid out, you can decide on the size. Let the grid layout help! Don't try and make a 9" block if the block is in a 5X5 grid!

The more quilts that you analyze & sketch out, the easier it will be.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Inspiration comes from lots of places, not just quilts. I saw a sun wall hanging that I might be able to adapt into a quilt. Many times floor tiles or patterns on carpets may inspire you, or just elements of anything including quilts. For one quilt I knew I wanted an applique in the center, surrounded by a block. I used something like the outside of a carpenter's wheel block as the frame, then a HST border around that for the quilt. Sometimes just looking at color combinations in quilts or clothes will give you ideas.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 PM

graph paper is my friend

aileen
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM

For me - EQ (like Dunster) is my "go to" for quilt design. I can play with colors and textures and create / modify blocks and block arrangement with a click of a mouse.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I often start with graph paper- just to create a *frame* size for my quilt- then pull fabrics & start laying out, cutting, piecing, playing- until it all comes together. a block here, a block there- a picture, panel, print here & there- what ever- most of my quilts just evolve from an idea, theme or color scheme I want to use.