Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different Scissors for Different Uses >

Different Scissors for Different Uses

Different Scissors for Different Uses

Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Suz

Default Different Scissors for Different Uses

I have a pair of bent blade scissors which I purchased to use when machine embroidering. The tips lay flat to the fabric surface. You can even pick a stitch w/the sharp points.

Owing to arthritic hands/fingers, I found they were easier to pick up than the ones that lay flat.

Later I used then to clip to a seam, trim threads and to trim an edge. I already knew they were sharp to the point and trimming with them was sooo nice. Now I keep them at the sewing machine and will purchase another pair to use at the ironing station.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the tip. I have RA and have been having trouble with my hands lately and will be buying me a pair.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 PM

I love new scissors. I don't have this kind. I also want spring ones for rag quilts, if I ever decide to do one. Joann's here I come! My cutting table is an old computer desk. I use the pull out keyboard shelf, lined with a mat, for my scissor collection.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 AM

I use that type to trim threads from paper piecing!! Works great.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 AM

barking-rabbit. I bought the spring clip scissors at the dollar tree for a buck. Yea, they work, so then I went back and got a second pair. They are in the garden section. they are garden snips actually. I use them on my rag quilts and save on my good fiskars spring scissors.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by barking-rabbit View Post
I also want spring ones for rag quilts, if I ever decide to do one.
I have springy snip type scissors that i bought specifically for rag quilts but now i keep them with me at all stages of sewing. They really save my fingers from a lot of aches. I hope to eventually get every available type of springy scissor.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:48 AM

I agree about the bent blade scissors !!! i LOVE mine....and i keep a pair of small sharp pointed for snipping threads at the machine. So many of the really nice scissors are just too heavy for these sore old hands.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 AM

I use the Fiskars scissors all the time and for seam ripping and snipping I use these(#6204) from http://www.mygoodscissors.com/ThreadNippers.htm
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I have a pair of duck bill Gingher scissors that I use for when I am cutting close to the quilt.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I have a pair of bent blade scissors which I purchased to use when machine embroidering. The tips lay flat to the fabric surface. You can even pick a stitch w/the sharp points.

Owing to arthritic hands/fingers, I found they were easier to pick up than the ones that lay flat.

Later I used then to clip to a seam, trim threads and to trim an edge. I already knew they were sharp to the point and trimming with them was sooo nice. Now I keep them at the sewing machine and will purchase another pair to use at the ironing station.
Are these the ones you are talking about? I will be buying another pair of these too. They are super sharp and the points let me clip threads easily. I use them for all my un-sewing now and they work with a gentle squeeze. I LOVE mine.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg