Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Embroidery Thread >

Machine Embroidery Thread

Machine Embroidery Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Default Machine Embroidery Thread

I am new to machine embroidery. I was wondering how people buy their thread, decide which colours yo collect etc. also big or small spools?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I don't do much machine embroidery - just occasional labels for my quilts - but I do use this thread for longarming - http://www.metroemb.com/store/. They have lots of colors, the pricing is great, and there are even packages of the mini-spools.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM

Small spools (can be replenished anytime). I like Mettler Polysheen and Fil-tec Glide. I've also used some Coat's trilobal that was just fine. I just think of projects and look for colors that would work well with those.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM

My sister and I each bought a different set of all colors off Amazon when we got our machines. We just add to it if we need something different than we have. The only ones we have had trouble with are the color twist from thread art. Those sew fine in a regular machine but not the embroidery one. Just get a basic set to start with so you have a variety to practice with, then add as you need.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Even though I don't have an embroidery machine, I use machine embroidery thread for my FMQ, I absolutely love it for the actual quilting. I get my embroidery thread from http://www.metroemb.com/store/ also. I personally try to get the big spools, as far as deciding what colors, I pick colors that work with the fabric colors that ,I work with on the average, I don't work with "earthtone" colors a lot so I just have a couple spools of "earthtone" threads, but have quite a few purples, pinks, reds, blues, etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM

I like the floriana(sp?) thread. Depends on what kind of designs you are doing some colors you'll need more of. If the shades are to close they don't show up. Some that look awful just looking at them together really look nice when it's all stitched out
Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM

I try to keep a variety of rayon and polyester colors. I try to keep a light, medium and dark of each main color I use and you can't go wrong with extra blues and greens. The thread websites themselves offer sales but I've had good luck on eBay especially for larger cones, prices are great. You can search the particulars of what you're looking for as "nylon blue embroidery thread" or "poly yellow embroidery thread" to narrow your search. Usually for most sites, the more you order, the cheaper the S/H is. A sweet addiction it is!!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM

I started with the tiny spools and soon decided I needed to have the opportunity to not run out every time I started a project! I have tried Robison Anton, Sulky, Coats and Clark, Floriani, etc. all worked well in my Viking DIamond, however when I found Metro thread, I ordered the big selection (about 69 cents per spool) and have been very pleased. You do need a large selection to do a design with shading (4 shades of green, 3 pinks, 2 reds just to do a rose) so I don't think having a great selection is overrated. I also use the large Sulky spools for the basics, and I use them for utility colors....logos green and blue can be replaced and they will be the same "dye lot" as the last spool. Price, availability, shipping costs, color selection all play a part in what threads you will use, don't limit yourself to one brand if you want variety, however some folks only use one kind and are happy. Do what makes you happy!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM

When I bought my machine I had the opportunity to go to a Floraini workshop. They have their their top selling threads in sets. I bought the top 100 most popular colors set of king spools and have never regretted it. While it was a leap for for me to do that, the price was very good and I wasn't always needing more spools in a color I didnt have yet. I love their thread and their stabilizers. Since I didn't have anything, it seemed like a good idea to have a great selection that were all the same kind of thread. They are wonderful products, and their customer service is excellent. What ever you choose I like having the same brand. Now several years later, I'm very glad I made the choice.I did.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 AM

When I purchased my first machine, I bought a huge thread set off of Ebay. When I bought my most recent machine (a Pfaff) it would not stitch with the thread I had. It only likes the Robison Anton or other expensive thread(lol).

So my recommendation is try out a few manufacturers first. As far as colors - From the large lot I purchased, I used a handful a lot and the rest were never opened. I now purchase the colors for my designs as I need them. I always keep the usual primary colors on hand as well as Christmas red and green and other colors grow as I need them.