Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estate sales >

Estate sales

Estate sales

Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 AM

I was at an estate sale and I overheard a couple of ladies talking to the person that was running the sale. They commented that they knew the woman was a life long quilter and were very surprised that there were no fabrics and tools offered. The answer was, "Oh yes there were rooms full but I didn't think anyone would be interested." Her whole stash was sent to the landfill, horrifying.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 AM

I have not found much quilting stuff at estate sales. I also love kitchen tools and feel like you do about the quilting stuff - these were someone's often used, loved tools. I have quite a few vintage things in my kitchen, nothing fancy, but they are my favorites.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 AM

I was not interested in quilting until my mother died and all her fabric was gone. I got her scissors. So just because your daughter's are not interested now, doesn't mean they never will. Life is funny......
Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 AM

LANDFILL!!!???? Yes, HORRIFYING! How could anyone be so stupid??? Did her relatives think she was the only quilter in the world????? Think of the good that could have been done with that stash!!

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I was at an estate sale and I overheard a couple of ladies talking to the person that was running the sale. They commented that they knew the woman was a life long quilter and were very surprised that there were no fabrics and tools offered. The answer was, "Oh yes there were rooms full but I didn't think anyone would be interested." Her whole stash was sent to the landfill, horrifying.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
LANDFILL!!!???? Yes, HORRIFYING! How could anyone be so stupid??? Did her relatives think she was the only quilter in the world????? Think of the good that could have been done with that stash!!
That is true! My thoughts. Not very smart relatives, IMO.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Here in south Texas estate and garage sales are held all year round. There are a couple websites that I go to and check their schedules. Often they will have photos of some of what is being sold. I definitely check out clothes for the yardage. I have come away with really great deals. My last one was my Singer Slant-o-Matic for $150.00 in a desk cabinet. DH wasn't too happy with me but he was mending his denim jacket with it the next morning and has used it often himself since. Found out his mother has one just like it. had all attachments.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM

My MIL passed away recently and I went through her quilting stuff. A few things I kept but the bulk of it is going to a local quilt group that has made and donated over 25,000 quilts. I think this I a good use.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM

I love finding stuff at garage/estate sales, I get so sad when it's an estate sale and I see the deceased persons whole life spread out at a sale!!! My husband says I am too sappy, but it doesn't stop my from going!! I can't help but think someday my whole life will be spread out in the driveway, an I do have a DIL who sews.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes View Post
When a member of a local guild passed away, guild members went into action following a plan she had set up ahead of time. First members of her guild were allowed to "shop". Then, for many weekends (at leas 6 that I know of) her friends sold her quilting and needlework supplies at her home.
asking members to give up 6 weekends of their life. I don't even have any family that could go that far, regardless of where the $$ go. Plus the time to set the sale up...
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 AM

i am so fortunate that both my darling niece and her daughter have caught the quilting bug from me. But I do need to tell them what to do with any fabric they don't want. Thanks for the reminder!