Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PQ 1500s questions >

Brother PQ 1500s questions

Brother PQ 1500s questions

Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM

Default Brother PQ 1500s questions

I am looking for a basic machine with a wide throat and the 1500s is looking pretty good to me. I don't have a lot of money to spend and already have a old Viking with all the stitches that I don't use. I thought I could get some opinions about the 1500s here.
I don't understand what the pin feed is and what it's supposed to do. Also does it have needle down? I don't have a dealer close so I would be buying from Amazon. Is that a good idea?
I'mIm looking forward to hearing what my quilting friends have to say.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 AM

I have the machine even tho I haven't used it much. It does have needle down and the "pin feed" is there is a little pin part comes up from underneath to help move the fabric along if I remember that right. I purchased mine from www.allbrands.com and it was with FREE shipping and fast delivery in THREE days. The throat is a good size and it does sew very fast!! Most people on here who own it seem to love it.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 AM

The Pins are for even feeding of both top and bottom fabric something that is slippery. I love the 1500 it rocks as a fmq machine and it sews very fast. Well worth the $$
Old 04-17-2014, 05:04 AM

I have one and love it. I have had mine for 12 years and it still sews like a dream. The only time I have had it serviced was to have the timing fixed that I messed up myself. I stuck my finger in to knock some dust off while it was running. It bent something. My repairman fixed it quickly and I'm back in business. I use mine for piecing and quilting all the time. I have two more expensive machines, but this is the one I use most. It has needle down, push button scissors, wide harp, pin feed, and makes a beautiful consistent stitch. It uses any thread I throw on it. It sews very fast too. It does only do a straight stitch, so if you want zigzag or specialty stitches then this is not the machine for you. It is great for garment sewing as well. I just love my Brother 1500 and I think you would too.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

My Daughter has one, uses it as an only machine and loves it.
Got it from allbrands.com, free delivery, and free extras. It is straight stitch only with a 9" throat. I have two other brand machines just like it and all I use also. I have several other machines as back ups. Important thing is to keep it oiled as per owner's manual and keep it clean.
I'm sure you will love it.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:36 AM

I have this machine andI love it! It sews realy great for both piecing and quilting. Easy to adjust pressure foot tension and to lower the feed dogs. I got my from Amazon for $600 wth no tax and free shipping. Many people pon this board have this machine and really like it. Try it you will like it!!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am looking for a basic machine with a wide throat and the 1500s is looking pretty good to me. I don't have a lot of money to spend and already have a old Viking with all the stitches that I don't use. I thought I could get some opinions about the 1500s here.
I don't understand what the pin feed is and what it's supposed to do. Also does it have needle down? I don't have a dealer close so I would be buying from Amazon. Is that a good idea?
I'mIm looking forward to hearing what my quilting friends have to say.
Here are some, not sure how close it is. I like to test drive my machine first.

RIVERCREST SEWING CENTER
13310 S CICERO AVE
CRESTWOOD, IL 60445
708-385-2516

HARLEM AVE SEWING CENTER
3906 N. HARLEM AVE
CHICAGO, IL 60634
773-625-1515

FRIENDLY STITCHES SEW AND VAC INC
2135 W. 63RD ST.
DOWNERS GROVE, IL 60516
630-541-8388
Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM

I called Ken' s Sewing Center yesterday. They have the machine listed on their website for $599 w/ free shipping, but it is on back order. In fact, they told me there weren't any anywhere in the US right now.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 AM

I bought one last year and this thing is a WORKHORSE! It's solid. Stitches like a dream, has needle down and automatic cutter. Easy to use, easy to clean, easy to oil.

I'm thinking of getting a quilt frame like a Gracie Queen or Ken Lund for it. I don't have a lot of room, so I can't get a big set-up, but I just finished quilting a queen-size French Braid and did some FMQ with it, and it's just such an awesome, awesome machine!

I absolutely love mine!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 AM

Pretty good testimonials & advice here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t243674.html
Sounds like a really reliable machine. I'm thinking of getting one too. I'll keep an eye on this thread.