Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The "SYE" Spike your English  Finished/Completed Update Page >

The "SYE" Spike your English Finished/Completed Update Page

The "SYE" Spike your English Finished/Completed Update Page

Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I am back in the saddle again, with the optic nerve decreasing in its swollen state, and hoping that action continues...at least I am not blind...yet.

I did take the Quilt Bus Tour and seen Quilting on the Square Quilt Shop. Mary, the one who designed the SYEs, said it would be retired from their site in Mid May...so if you lack any of the patterns, please download and save for when you might what to finish. And sign up for their newsletter which is starting the beginning of paper piecing pieces then. Mary was 'twisting' best friend's arm to start the simple pp with them then...and showing her their blocks and patterns that they would use. "But," said my bf, "that's pp!", "yes," said Mary, "that's what we do here!" Bf is a hand quilter and her expression was priceless. LOL. The trip was two days, four states, and wonderful FART with lots of laughter.
I am so glad to hear that you may not lose your sight. Knowing that you might, made me feel really sad for you. You have had more hardships already than I have and I truly applaud that you are facing whatever comes your way with such a great attitude. So many people fight everything so hard that they lose their perspective on all their life and make the hardship the only thing they see. I have learned so much about quilting on this board and about people. One day, if I am ever near Hartford, MO, I just may contact you and come say "Hi". You have my deepest respect!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 PM

It's finished.

I SID every seam within the block, and as I didn't want a lot of starts and finishes and didn't want to turn the quilt, I free motioned the SID, a few wiggly lines but it went a lot faster. I started quilting the background of the blocks but didn't like it so reverse sewed and left the background blank. I think it works as the block stand out which it what I wanted. I then quilted a simple feather in the setting triangles and a cross hatch in the sashing, again I did the cross hatch free motion. Piano keys in the final 2 borders just framed the whole quilt.

I am definitely keeping this one.
Attached Thumbnails finished-spike.jpg   spike-close-up.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 PM

Mirabelle - that is just so beautiful! I love what you did on the quilting. Great finish!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Congrats, Mirab--that is amazing. I love how it all came together with the background & border fabrics. Your quilting enhances the designs. Great job!!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Proud of Mirabelle and JanRN for doing justice to Mary's designs of the SYE patterns from Quilting on the Square...and finishing up the quilt. Mine did not have one direction and still do not know what direction it will take in the end...mats, table runner or quilt...undecided at this time. Proud of all of you who cross that finish line, finishing all the designed SYE patterns that you choose to do. Big drum roll for each of you, a job well done. As for the rest of us, we may struggle onward as we can...and hope to cross that finish line.....later. Maybe. Whatever. Who can come up with the best excuse??? Mmmm....maybe going blind...from optic nerve swelling up like mine is doing...but I am still seeing distances fine...still on steroids, following drs orders hoping and praying I can finish most projects in the next ten years...or so.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 AM

Mirabelle, gorgeous! I'm happy you're going to keep this one for yourself
I don't need an excuse for not finishing the blocks. I just decided I won't.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 AM

All your quilts are beautiful. I am inspired. I just found this quilt a few minutes ago and downloaded the patterns. This will be my challenge quilt for this winter. I can only hope mine turns out half as nice as theses. Great job ladies, fantastic quilts!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM

Glory be, my optic nerve has decreased in size and I am seeing again in the right eye. Blessed be. Prayers have been answered, I am back on kitchen duties and very happy about it. Four SYE blocks just might be in line to finish!! Have a Good Day, everyone.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Ta da!! Just finished today. I really loved doing these blocks. Thank you all for the help and encouragement given along the way. I wanted to use a pieced, multicolored border but it made this wall hanging 2" too big for the wall space in my living room. I did minimal quilting, wanted the blocks to be the focus. Thanks for looking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]475444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sye-quilt.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 PM

Great job, JanRN. Good to see both you and Mirabelle has done a wonderful job to inspire the rest of us. Since QB quilt buddy is coming every two weeks to help out for several hours, I just might get to finish some planned quilts. '

Quilting on the Square have really wonderful folks to do business with, too. I had notified them that I had ruined DJ batiks A one and A two and could not load from their newsletter the current project...they included all that in this month's DJ at no charge. That is what I call 'beyond' expectations. They are a 'good' neighbor and source to work with, as close as the phone or computer.