Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0?? >

Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0??

Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0??

Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 PM

Default Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0??

I took my Pfaff Ambition 1.0 in for its yearly maintenance and while I was there played around a bit with the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2. Been researching the QE4.2 quite a bit since then and liked what I've read, so today went in to give it a good test drive (dealer has a special 60-month interest free financing). Of course while I was there, the sales gal also showed me the Pfaff Performance 5.0. WOW. Probably more machine than I will ever need in this lifetime, but lots of fun! The Quilt Expression 4.2 is $1799; the Performance 5.0 is $2599. Just not sure if it's worth the extra $800. Anyone have either of these machines and if so, would you mind sharing your thoughts - pros, cons, what you would do? Thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 AM

i went into the dealer intending to buy the quilt expression and came home with the performance 5.0. i have been very happy with my decision.
my machine senses when i have the single needle plate in and yet it doesn't say that it has that feature on the website, very odd and i can't remember if the qe4.2 had that or not. also the performance 5.0 has the setting for the 6d, dynamic spring foot that is just wonderful for free motion work and yet i can't find it on the list. good thing the machines are way better than the website :-) if you like to play with different stitches the stitch creator is great fun and lets you make and save lots of variations of your stitches. a handy dealer and some lessons will really get you using that feature well.
once you get past the basics, everything on our machines is really just for fun so if you are trying to be super practical about it the 4.2 is a great machine. if you like to play, more toys are more fun and the performance covers the basics and the toys very well.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:15 PM

I have the Performance 5. I first tried the 4.2 and then the Performance. I don't remember what features make me chose the 5 but after taking a break from the dealer to have lunch I knew even with the price difference the Performance was the machine I wanted. I am sure the 4.2 is a wonderful machine but I liked the "look" of the Performance more.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:15 PM

icul8rg8r, the 4.2 also has the features you mentioned. Are the throat sizes the same? What kind of sewing do you do besides quilting? Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM

I looked really quick but it looks like there is a youtube for each of those machines. It might be helpful to look at those
Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM

I like (love) to do any sort of sewing projects (non-clothing, except pillowcase dresses and costumes for my kids). And of course quilting. Mostly piecing and patchwork (have a lot of UFOs). Of those I've actually quilted it's been mostly stitch-in-the-ditch, echo, basic lines or diagonals - no free motion (yet)! The QE2 has everything on my wishlist that I want on my next machine - auto snips, auto tension, knee lift (although the way the pedal works is pretty cool). Definitely staying with PFAFF - love the IDT which I use almost all the time with a variety of presser feet. The Performance 5 has that cool sideways motion - and more stitches including stippling - just agonizing over the extra $800. Both produced beautiful stitches. I wouldn't even be considering either machine if it wasn't for the 60 months financing. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 AM

Do the math before you make a decision -- free financing for 60 months --that's about $13 more per month. Not a great jump, but still it adds up to $800 in the long run. The fact that the financing is interest free keeps the cost of this machine in a very reasonable range.

How long do you normally go between machines? If it is a long time, the upgrade might be easy to justify. If only a little longer than the time you are financing it for, perhaps the less expensive model, so you have the $800 not spent to get started on the next new machine....
Old 06-06-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm also trying to decide between the two. I started reading the two user manuals online to come up with the exact differences. I don't promise this to be perfect since I was doing a manual compare, but in case it helps someone else here is what I've found so far:

- The Quilt Expression 4.2 looks like it has everything that the Performance 5.0 has, other than having the button entry instead of a screen to make choices. The stitches on the QE 4.2 are exactly the same as the Performance 5.0, with the exception of the maxi stitches and an additional font on the Performance.

- The Performance 5.0 has
---Better display and stylus to make selections, more interactive display
---Straight stitch needle plate indicator (so you can't switch stitches and break needles)
---Maxi stitches (including monograms) and Maxi foot
---Script font
---USB port to do software updates
---Help functionality built into the interactive screen
---10 more memory storage spaces

This will be my first new machine since I got my Pfaff 6250 (which I love!) 20 years ago. Yeah, I'm due!!!

I'm tending toward the Performance, but I'm not certain if the difference is worth the price. To add to that I have an offer from my dealer for a very good price on the QE 4.2 right now. If I decide on the Performance I'll really need to wait until there is a special price on it, but I'm not in a rush. One issue I have is the color of the QE 4.2 and I KNOW that is NOT a reason to pick a machine, but I'm just not a "pink girl" and I like the look of the Performance better. At least I recognize that's not a good reason to pick the more expensive one!

Anyone know how often, or if ever, there are software upgrades that would make the Performance and USB port a better choice?

Anyone else comparing the two and have any thoughts? I'm pretty sure that both would be good choices.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 PM

I went to my local store tonight to compare the QE 4.2 and the Performance 5.0. I really liked the Performance 5.0 better. I thought the interactive display was more intuitive. I also like the quilting maxi stitches. I can see actually using those frequently on smaller projects like placemats. I'm still not sure it's worth the price difference, but I know me, and if I settle for the lower machine I'll never be happy since there are things on the Performance I would really like to have. Now the trick is going to be waiting until there is a special on the Performance and a financing deal available. As much as I want it, I do not want to pay full price.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM

Leslie .... did you purchase either machine yet? I missed out on the special 60 Month Financing, but since then the price on the Performance 5.0 has dropped to $2499. What was your dealers price? Can the Performance be purchased ANYWHERE for under $2000????