Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Exploding Block = Exploding Head >

Exploding Block = Exploding Head

Exploding Block = Exploding Head

Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Exploding Block = Exploding Head

Oh My! I thought this was supposed to be easy...LOL Soooo many seams to match...Since Thanksgiving I have been trying all sorts of different patterns and techniques just for the sake of learning and challenging my brain...Thought the fast wedding ring was difficult. I didn't have the template so I had to make one and guess at the sizes but I think maybe this one is more of a challenge...three rows down..nine to go. Rounded corners are a nightmare from you know where. Years ago I made myself finish everything I had started before I started anything new and have stuck with it but I'm seriously considering this as a UFO...LOL Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails 3rowsexplodingblock.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Hmm, I thought this one was supposed to be easy because all the points were supposed to be cut off. What are you matching?
I really like what you have so far. How big are your blocks? If you really don't want to finish, can you rearrange the blocks into more of a rectangle (like a 5 X 6?) and add a bunch of borders for a nice throw?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHV-x4e500s Here is the tutorial from Missouri Quilt on your block and they sure make it looks easy. I am not sure if that's what you did but check it out.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM

I thought it would be easier too..except there are 4 point to match instead of 1. With a bias cut it is easy to get just a little out of whack or a less than perfect seam on each one so that when the block is squared it makes different size points. A great deal of starch helps but still as each block goes together side by side it's difficult...Also when the two 4" ones are put together, split and pressed they are slightly smaller than the 5 " block so that has to be wiggled in..the direction it is pressed has a lot to do with the size too...I coulda/shoulda used sashing as I have seen and liked but didn't like the look for this one.

I did watch the video...at least a dozen time...I'd think I missed something and so I'd go watch it again...It looked so easy. I'm sure for those with lots of experience it would be much easier. My block were square so it was no problem lining them up...just the rounded part.

Here's a pic to illustrate..
Attached Thumbnails point-match.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Ahhh .... I see now. Yeah, on the surface the "don't worry about the points" seems easier until you realize it means an additional seam to match when joining the blocks.

Sashing could fix that problem ... but the secondary pattern might be lost.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM

I took a quick look at the quilt in the tutorial (at 400%). The seams are not matching there either. Maybe it is just something to 'let be' and enjoy the fast piecing. IMO
Debbie
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM

My monthly group put sashing around each square so there was no matching. It became a raffle quilt for the grange.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM

A friend and I did a different layout. Very easy and I think it looks great.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM

I saw the tutorian on Missouri Star and thought what a neat block. But I will be honest I have not had the time to try it out yet. Looking forward to what others have to say about this pattern.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

This is a fun block to make. We used Thimbleberries fabrics and by adding sashing around each block, it was easy to put together. It turned out to be a lovely quilt. I plan to make the quilt for myself, using blue fabrics, of course.
Blue Bell