Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a Koala cabinet -- do you like it? >

Do you have a Koala cabinet -- do you like it?

Do you have a Koala cabinet -- do you like it?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 AM

Default Do you have a Koala cabinet -- do you like it?

We are downsizing and I am in a position to spend a little money getting a new desk/table for my main sewing machine. I want one that will raise and lower the machine since I really need to be able to use the flat space for cutting and other things.
I have been looking at the Koala cabinets and am looking for feedback from anyone who has one. Which one do you have and what do you like and not like about it?
Also, if you know of another brand that also has the ability to electronically raise and lower the machine I’d love to hear about it.
Thanks much
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 AM

About 17 years ago, I got my Koala cabinet. It was a floor model that the sewing store was selling at a discount. That cabinet was one of my best investments. It has been moved a long distance since I got it and I use it every day; yet it still looks like new. The mechanism for raising and lowering the machine still works well. I have my serger on the side area. Since I also have a Koala cutting table, I have my Featherweight sitting on the flat space that could be used for cutting. There is plenty of space on the area for working with a large quilt when I am FMQ or adding binding. I also like the storage space in the cabinet. I cannot imagine how I sewed all those years without a Koala cabinet. I love, love, love mine.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Thanks. Is yours a big unit or one of the smaller units?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 AM

I have a Horn cabinet, Quilters Dream I think it's called. It has a large section that can fold up and down behind the machine. There's a wooden insert to cover the machine "hole" if you want a big flat top surface. And it has a drawer unit on wheels that I used pulled out for my little ironing board/iron. I also have a pexiglass insert that fits around my machine to make a flat sewing surface when using the machine. I had to purchase the pexiglass insert for around the machine separately.

The machine can go up and down, but it's not electronic. You push down on the machine to activate it to lower, then push hard on it to come back up. I keep it up all the time though so I can't vouch for its durability if you needed to go up and down a lot.

I love my cabinet!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM

I just bought my Koala Craft Pro IV it has the areas for 2 machines (no mechanical lift)it has 2 drop down sides that when fully extended is huge!!! I wanted not only a place for my machines in my small area but also a place to cut fabric etc.... . I am tall and ordered the extra height, the outback shelves and the chair. I am disappointed that the chair is not appropriate for the height of the table and wish they had indicated that it will not work with added height!!!! That is a 300.00 chair!!!
Overall I am happy with my cabinet, it was delivered in about 9 weeks, it was delivered and placed professionally (you have to pay the additional 350.00, it is not an option) and for the price I was happy to not have to deal with it or have my husband deal with it. They did remove doors etc to get it to it's desired location and put everything back when done.
When i get my "studio" I will get another cabinet, but will more than likely find a local Amish craftsman to make one for me from a blueprint, and made from hard wood and not pressboard. I am loving mine and I am sure you will love yours too if you buy one, after all we have to indulge every now and then.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM

Hopefully once dreamy is paid off this will be my next purchase, I still have 2 1/2 years to go but one can dream
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Koala makes a nice cabinet but they are quite a bit (at least they used to be) more expensive than some of the others. They are all (unless you get a custom one) made from the particle (?) board - they aren't all wood! I would look at some of the others as I believe several of them now have electric lifts. I think Horn's now raise with the touch of a button and to be honest the way I lose things think that might be better than a wireless remote.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM

I love my Koala. It's one of the ginormous ones. There's nothing I don't love about it.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM

I have the QuiltMate Plus IV and absolutely love it. The extra height makes the back flip-up panel ideal for a cutting table. It's super easy to raise and lower my machine so when I switch to the longarm for a few days I can close down the Koala and have a beautiful piece of furniture in the room. It has tons of space for storage available under the flip up panel but I don't have mine set up that way because it makes it a little too large to have permanently in my space. It has a lot of different configuration options to fit any need. Mine was a LQS floor display model so I got a good deal and it came with a chair. Because of the extra height of the chair I can also use it at my longarm if I want to sit down while machine quilting. I couldn't be happier with my Koala!!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:53 AM

I have the Horn Eclipse, seen here. I think Koala do a similar model. Best money I ever spent. I don't use the lift up table at the back a lot, but when I need it, it's invaluable. I keep a small iron and pad on the area to the right.

They've just taken out a newer model to accommodate larger machines that need a deeper lift, although my Pfaff QE4 fits the insert fine. I negotiated for a blank plastic insert when I purchased mine, so I'm able to use it as a light box by putting a couple of small lights on top of my machine when it's in the 'down' position.

It's also easy to get spares for (my chair 'ran' away with me and I didn't realise I'd caught the lever on the plastic storage bin until I pulled it away - with me on it. Gonna have to get on that diet ). Happy shopping!