Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OOH, I'm so frustrated!!! >

OOH, I'm so frustrated!!!

OOH, I'm so frustrated!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 AM

Unhappy OOH, I'm so frustrated!!!

I was playing with my new old Pfaff model 76 yesterday and it sews a straight stitch fine, zig zags great, then I put on the free motion foot, drop the feed dogs and try to practice meandering just to see if it will do it. I did everything like it shows in 10 different you tube videos . I set the stitch length to zero, my tension was good, and placed a brand new spool of thread on spool pin ( Coats & Clark polyester thread). Take a few stitches slowly and then it starts to shred the thread as I'm trying to move it. ARRRRRGH! I put the regular foot back on bring feed dogs back up and try some slow swirls with the straight stitch. it sews fine I even made a zigzag heart with the regular foot on and stitch length on 2 and tension on 9 with no problems! Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong ? Or am I doing it right and it just doesn't like doing it with the free motion foot? Can you do it with feed dogs up and regular foot and stitching? Are there strict rules for this?
Sorry this is so long just frustrating!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 AM

Let me think, I'm new at this darning foot, Janome machine.. I had to push down feed dog, install darning foot, pull thread up my thread would shred when I put sparkling embroidery thread. It didn't like that.. Went to regular thread was OK then, yours is different question I think! Not sure I can help, but glad you brought it up so I can learn also..
Old 04-29-2014, 03:59 AM

Look at your needle. Top stitch and a large eye I'd say will help.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 AM

And move the fabric slowly. The first time I tried FMQ, I had to cut the birdsnest off the machine and untangle the bobbin - must remember to lower the presser foot to get the tension correct (also not your shredding problem - but a common first time problem).

Cheers, K
Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 AM

Use a larger needle up to the biggest - an 18 it should stop the shredding.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 AM

My dealer told me not to lower the feed dogs but set stitch length to zero to avoid tension problems.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I use to always tell students that you need to get familiar with the sound your machine makes. Stitch at a certain speed that you are comfortable with and learn the speed that the feed dogs move the fabric. Then try to move the fabric at the same rate that the feed dogs did at the same speed. Your stitches might be too big. Photos would help. I never have used an size 18 needle when quilting but then I own a Bernina.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM
DJ

I don't know about your Pfaff, mine is a 2056, with IDT. Be sure the IDT (if you have it) is disengaged. My machine also has a setting for the presser foot. It is "down" to engage the tension disks, but rides just above the fabric, so it can move freely. Good luck with your FMQing.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Try changing your needle. I have a problem with some threads when FMQ and Coats and Clarks is one of them. Tends to shred on me too. Try a different brand of thread.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

The needle has to be the right size for the thread ply and weight. It's not easy to find the ply and wt. of C&C thread. It's usually in code. That is the main reason I don't buy C&C. Why make it hard to know? Great info about thread and needles sizes is here: www.superiorthreads.com/education/