Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irish Chain Quilt-How to quilt? >

Irish Chain Quilt-How to quilt?

Irish Chain Quilt-How to quilt?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM

I don't FM so I just machine stitched through the chain using painters' tape. I hope it holds up in the wash. I used traditional punched poly batting.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM

I echo quilt a lot. But, I think a pretty feather design in the chain and maybe a feather wreath in the center blocks would look nice.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM

A beautiful quilt Nancy. Thanks for sharing. I just came across some stencils that I have of large hearts and four connecting hearts which I will put in the plain blocks and the single hearts at each corner of the large 2x2" large blocks. I think it will look ok. Also have 2 1/2 " border which I will put a string of hearts. I want to hand quilt this with the PVC frame as well as the lap quilt hoop that I have. It seems like it will take forever to get all the hearts drawn on the quilt, but I will get it done. I will take a picture when it is all done. Take care....
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 AM

This was quilted for me by Diane Carson, Ontario, Canada. I love the simplicity of the quilting that enhances the piecing.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by maryb44662 View Post
Thank you Terri for responding to my question. I was thinking about doing a design of some sort, maybe a leaf, in the plain blocks but didn't know what to do with all those 2" squares. I had thought about the 1/4 inch outline in those, doing all of this by hand. I have one of those PVC Pipe quilting frames that I just finished a twin sized quilt on. This frame is very easy to use and takes up less space than the large quilting frame I have. After moving in with my daughter and son-in-law, I do not have room for the large frame. I will have to think about this for a while. Thanks again.
You're welcome. A 1/4" outline around all the squares in the chain would be fabulous--tons of work, but still fabulous! I'm already jealous of the recipient!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Here's how I did one that I made for a friend. I hand quilt everything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474809[/ATTACH]

If you look towards the back of the picture below, you can see a simple flower in the middle of the square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474814[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg   001.jpg