Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you sell pot holders that you make? >

do you sell pot holders that you make?

do you sell pot holders that you make?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 AM

Default do you sell pot holders that you make?

Hello... I did find a thread on the board on selling pot holders.. but it was 5 years old so I wanted to see if there were any fresh thoughts. I am using up some of my scrap fabric and making pot holders and/or hot matts (some are 8" to 8-1/2" and some are 11" to 12"). Since I am using left over fabric I didn't put any money out for 99% of the fabric, but I do have batting and insulated batting costs.... do any of you guys sell pot holders that you make? I am going to have at least 23 pot holders (I may get 25 or so) for ~$80 of supplies. (I have to find a cheaper way to buy my insul brite batting if I do this again). I have not even kept track of my time. (I finished 2 in 1 hour last night) I was thinking of giving them as Christmas gifts, but then I thought maybe I will try to sell them this summer online or at yard sales/craft shows. What do you guys sell pot holders for? $8? $10? Do they sell better individually or as a pair? Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

To be very honest, I don't think they would sell in my area for that price. Are they pieced, or just beautiful fabric that is quilted & bound? Every geographic area is different, however, so I would go for it. You can also look on Etsy & see what the online competition looks like! Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 AM

In my little corner of the world $8-$10 for potholders would never sell.

If you try to sell on online cannot tell you about the price but I would think yours would need to be something special to stand out from the thousands of other people trying to sell their quilted items. I personally would not pay that price considering that shipping would be added in also.

Not to rain on your parade but selling stuff is hard in this competitive world.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

It is hard to sell craft items at all in my area. People expect Walmart or $ store prices.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 AM

I made a bunch of hot pads last summer after I got my new sewing machine. I used scraps of fabric, batting, and sometimes insulbright. I was learning how to set up my machine and use the new stitches. So when our Church bazaar rolled around, I had 20 hot pads made. I put them in a basket with a sign - your choice $3. Sold about a dozen.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:04 AM

Look on etsy to compare yours to those offered for sale--that should give you an idea on pricing. I look at them for design ideas. I would think local craft fairs would be a good market but if those are all you have to sell it might not be worth the time. Perhaps you could team up with another vendor to consign them in his/her booth or shop?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 AM

I don't want to burst your bubble....but I can tell you that $8 would never sell around here. I'm sure that your potholders are really nice, but most customers will look at the price and walk away.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:23 AM

Yes, I agree about checking Etsy or Ebay to see what's out there.

I've purchased potholders on Ebay in the $10 range but only because they had really cute squirrels on them. I've also spent over $10 for potholders at a craft show because were shaped like a heart in really cute modern fabric. I guess I'm saying a potholder has to be something special that makes someone think they "need" it. (Just my opinion)
Old 05-14-2014, 05:29 AM

I have sold at that price range.. but its all about the content ( artistic, color content, quilting , overall quality of work, etc. ) and where you sell them.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

It is a very strange world because the gal next to me did really sloppy work on her microwave bowls. They were so fat I thought she had made them out of fat polyester batting but I guess they were never pressed on the outside seam. She sold about 6 of the for $8.00.