Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone out there doing the Little Brown Bird quilt? >

Is anyone out there doing the Little Brown Bird quilt?

Is anyone out there doing the Little Brown Bird quilt?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 AM

Default Is anyone out there doing the Little Brown Bird quilt?

Hi all, I've been thinking of starting the Little Brown Bird quilt for awhile now. I had to get all the UFOs under control and I know the LBB will take me a long time. I have the book and the DVD. But I'm wondering has anyone done this quilt in a background that is not tan? I love dark backgrounds but I know there are a lot of colors in the applique so I'm not sure how the flowers and other details would show up.

Of course I will be using fabrics from my stash for all the applique pieces..... I have a fair sized stash. But I'm thinking I need to decide on the background fabric and get enough before I begin. So, what colors have you all used for this quilt? Does anyone have any pictures you would be willing to post.... Once I decide on the background I can start.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

i had to look that one up https://www.google.com/search?q=litt...w=1016&bih=693
i really like it with the lighter background... i wouldn't want to lose the beauty of the blocks
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 AM

I do a lot of applique but haven't seen that one. Looks interesting. I personally like light backbrounds but I have animals around the house-with hair
Old 05-29-2014, 07:14 AM

I have collected a lot of fabrics - specially greens for leaves, all background blocks are cut as well some shapes.
Not brave enough to start it. Maybe we could work it on a "virtual bee" ...
Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM

I have the CD and the book, but that's as far as I've gotten. It took me a long time to find the book at a reasonable price, but I did. The CD was certainly reasonable, but I would rather have the picture in my hand. I have quite a large stash and would use light fabric for the background. I am also afraid to start. The pieces are all so small. Someday… I hope you post your progress, I would love to see it.
Sue
Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 AM

I don't see why you couldn't use a dark background. I have seen baltimore album quilts and the affairs of the heart done with dark backgrounds and they were gorgeous. You will just have to choose your fabrics so they show up on the dark. I can't wait to see the results. I would love to do this or something similar but I hate to do handwork so I don''t see one in my future.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 AM

I have the book -- have had it for several years but it is still above my skill set! Maybe someday.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Years ago one of the guilds did one for their opportunity quilt. If I remember correctly, it had a medium gold background and they had chosen a few, not all, of the blocks in the book. The blocks were made larger, probably 12". Gorgeous quilt. I spent some $$ trying to win that one. I think they said it was the best year ($$ wise) they had. I did take pictures, but don't think I have them now. That was a few computers ago. lol
Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 PM

I thank you all for your comments. I will continue to ponder over the background color..... I'm leaning toward a dark brown. I think light colors will show up well. But, I'll be sure to post my progress as I work on it. .... just really not sure.....
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I have the book and that's as far as I've gotten.