Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yardage instead of Fat quarters >

Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Old 06-09-2014, 05:31 AM

Red face Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Several patterns I am interested in sewing, indicate using fat quarters. I would like to use some of my stash which is mostly l yard or more pieces. I am concerned that the design would be affected. I am so confused and do not know how to adjust the pattern. One pattern suggests 16 FQ which would mean I would have to purchase more fabric. Help me decide what to do. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 AM

Well, if you cannot figure it out, maybe you can simply cut your one yard pieces into fat quarters yourself and then go from there. Take a square yard of fabric and cut it in half both ways and VOILA - you have four fat quarters.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 AM

I use my stash as my fabric store. If I need fat quarters I cut them from my stash, refold the left over fabric and use it for a different project later. I usually buy a minimum of 3 yards of fabric knowing I won't use it all at once.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 AM

I rarely buy fat quarters, but when you need 16 of them for one project...it might be cheaper than buying 1 yard of more fabrics. Can you use your fabric for as many as you can and then just buy some fats to fill in?

Also - if I am using my own fabric I just cut what I need from the end of the fabric and not make fats out of it. Many times they just want a piece or two cut from each fabric...not even using the whole FQ.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 AM

Do you mean that the pattern calls for 16 FQ but you don't have 16 different appropriate fabrics? It's really going to depend on the pattern if that's important or not. If it's going for a scrappy sort of look, you can probably have fewer different types of fabric and still have it look fine; maybe use 8 half-yards instead.

I almost never buy fat quarters, they're just too dinky for my taste. I prefer half-yard cuts at minimum (1 -3 yards is better) and just cut things down from there.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 AM

I don't buy fat quarters either. In fact, I usually don't buy much fabric at the LQS unless I have a plan in mind. But I do have a lot of fabric..... a lot of it I find at estate sales, etc.

So, if you have the fabric selection you want to use in your quilt, just cut the pieces from that. If you need a few fat quarters, get them. It is really a matter of whether you have what you need for the quilt you are making and what you want to add to your stash.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 AM

I think when patterns call for FQs, it is meant to sound more appealing---oh boy, all I need is some FQs and I could make that, what is more simple?--therefore, you would be more tempted to make their pattern--- it doesn't matter!!! fabric is fabric no matter which way it is cut!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 AM

The last time I bought a FQ bundle, I had the hardest time figuring out what to do with it. So I would stick with yardage. Just pull coordinating yardage from your stash in 16 patterns. If you need more, I'd fill in with solids and go for it.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Study the pattern to understand what number and sizes of patches it calls for, taking notes to keep track and cut what's needed from your yardage.

I'm very glad I did that with one popular fat quarter pattern because I learned that out of 40 blocks used to make the quilt, the distribution was 16 of block A, 12 of block B, and 12 of block C. It bothered me that there were 4 more of block A than the other two. Plus at 40 blocks (5 x 8 setting), the quilt was way longer than it was wide, and I didn't care for that either. I ended up making 42 blocks (6 x 7 setting), 14 of each.

I went through a fat quarter buying stage, but now rarely buy them. If you can figure out how to convert one pattern, you will be able to do so with your second and third patterns, etc., and use up your yardage.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

it does sound like the pattern calls for variety. I would suggest you get some grid paper and draw it out and color it in and go from there. Good luck.