Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiskar ruler cutter >

Fiskar ruler cutter

Fiskar ruler cutter

Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 AM

Default Fiskar ruler cutter

I bought this cutter for half off and have been trying to cut with it. Problem being how to measure with it. DO you have to use the lines on your matt and if so why do you need the marked ruler on the cutter. There are no directions included but the box has a few which do not help. The ruler and cutting edge don't measure to the right size. My favorite quilt store uses this cutter to cute for their quilts and she didn't realize it until I pointed it out. She has been giving away lots of extra inches to customers. I can't find any way to figure out how to solve this so if you can help me I would be very grateful. Thank you for being there.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 AM

Here is a you tube tutorial on how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_iHl2Qa-g
Old 06-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Are the marked ruler lines not correctly measured from the cutter? I've never seen one of these but it looks interesting. Do you have the square one or the 6"x24" one?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

I just pulled on older one that I bought a couple of years ago. It is 6.5 by 24. The markings on the ruler are the width of the strip you will cut. When I have the fabric layered for cutting and squared on the left edge I place the cutter marking for the width of the strip I desire on the squared left edge (2.5 mark gives me 2.5 inch strips). The blade will be on the right and the markings take into account what you can't see under the ruler.
Hope that helps. If you need pictures let me know.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Nana I have the six inch cutter. I guess there is no way to explain my problem. It is with the measurements part not the cutting. It is a neat tool to cut with because it doesn't hurt my sore hand. Guess I just need to keep working on it. Thank for the reply.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by MrsDerf View Post
I bought this cutter for half off and have been trying to cut with it. Problem being how to measure with it. DO you have to use the lines on your matt and if so why do you need the marked ruler on the cutter. There are no directions included but the box has a few which do not help. The ruler and cutting edge don't measure to the right size. My favorite quilt store uses this cutter to cute for their quilts and she didn't realize it until I pointed it out. She has been giving away lots of extra inches to customers. I can't find any way to figure out how to solve this so if you can help me I would be very grateful. Thank you for being there.

I bought this Fiskar's cutter and returned it because the measurements were off by approx. 1/8" every time. I bought a Havel's instead and am happier w its accuracy.