Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand-sewing and thread tangles >

Hand-sewing and thread tangles

Hand-sewing and thread tangles

Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Default Hand-sewing and thread tangles

I have been working on some hexies and I am going NUTS with how tangled my thread gets when I'm trying to hand-sew. Somehow I seem to be working a massive twist into the threads as I'm sewing.

I've just been using cotton thread (Robison-Anton brand that came with my Janome - really linty so I want to use it up outside of my machine), do I need special thread for hand-sewing? What am I doing that is making me get these crazy twists? The thread starts off fine but then starts to coil around itself - I spend more time untangling than I spend sewing!

I've heard of thread conditioner but I don't know what it is...is that what I'm missing?

I switched to using some poly thread and that helps a little bit, but I still get twists and tangles.

It's been a VERY long time since I've done hand sewing (like since I was a kid) and I don't remember having all these troubles, but who knows what kind of thread I was using...probably something my Grandma handed down to me.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 PM

I recently asked this question also, but on my phone so can't find the link too easily!
The tips that helped me were to use "thread heaven", which is a thread conditioner and protectant (according to the label!). This helps the thread to glide a little easier.
Another tip was to rotate the needle a little after each stitch (in the opposite direction to the way it is twisted). This has helped me enormously!
I still get the occasional knot, but it's a lot more manageable now!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM

For hand sewing I love the Mettler Silk finish cotton thread, I find it tangles much less than other threads, or silk thread for applique.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM

This may sound nuts, but I swear it helps. Decrease the length of your thread and sew with the thread going the same direction as it comes off the spool. Most of us reel off a couple of arm lengths, cut and thread the needle with that end, then pull it a little ways through the needle, run our hands down to the other end and tie a knot. This will put the thread through the fabric in the opposite direction from the way it comes off the spool, and will increase your tangles. The other thing is we don't want to thread that needle so often so we hand sew with too much thread. So, here's what to do. Pull off only one pull, about 18-20 inches of thread, and snip if off from the spool. Now, take the OTHER end to thread the needle. Tie the knot in the longer end where you cut it from the spool. Trust me, try it.
Power Poster

Using the hand quilting thread helps with this too. It is coated with something that makes it stiff and stronger for hand piecing and quilting.
Power Poster

Don't cut your thread to long. 18 to 20" long is a length that works well to avoid getting knots and tangles.

Thread your needle and make your knot.

Run thread over any old votive or taper candle you have lying around. bees wax is most often mentioned when conditioning thread but i use what I have on hand. The wax will give the thread a bit of body.

( I like to use my favorite scented candle for this, Yankee Candle votive in the Citrus & Sage sent) Smells heavenly when I sew!)

Next, have your iron set to a low temp and run the waxed thread under the warm iron plate. This will remove any excess wax from the thread.

If at any point a tangle or knot starts to develope just drop your needle down and let the thread unwind.

I usually do ten or fifteen needles at a time when I am binding a quilt. I keep them orderly by sticking the needles next to each other in the edge of my ironing board table which is where I do my binding.

Give it a try and I hope it helps a little.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 06-18-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody View Post
For hand sewing I love the Mettler Silk finish cotton thread, I find it tangles much less than other threads, or silk thread for applique.
Thanks Woody. That is the thread I use on my Bernina. I do love "Thread Heaven". It really does work and I have always bought it at JAF when notions are 50% off.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

shorter lengths of thread will make all the difference in the world- people always think they will save time if they start with a piece of thread 6 feet long---when you spend most of your time untangling you are not saving anything- start with about 18" of thread- it is a lot faster to rethread a needle than to untangle yards of thread. you can always start with 4 or more needles threaded (with 18" lengths) in a pin cushion so when you run out of one you can just pick up the next one. also, for that linty cotton thread you want to use up- try some bees wax * or 'Thread Heaven' which comes in a little 1" square box- you simply drag the thread across it before starting- same with the bees wax---most shops (local quilt shops and places like Joanne's and hobby lobby) carry both of these products.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 PM

As craftnut said, shorten the length of your thread to no longer than wrist to elbow length.
And ALWAYS thread with the end feeding off the spool. Easiest and quickest way is to thread up to ten needles onto your spool to start with. Thread heaven and bees wax is good, but if your fingers are grubby that'll spread it to your fabric in no time. And if the threads really linty, throw it away. It means its weak. All that time hand sewing shouldn't be wasted on rubbish thread!!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Every so often, drop your thread and let it untwist.

Or, try this: When sewing by hand, the natural tendency (although we don't realize we're doing it) is to roll the needle between our fingers as we stitch, causing the thread to twist. If you are right handed, typically, the needle is rolled in a clockwise direction. As you are pulling the needle through to complete the stitch, roll it in the opposite direction to keep the thread from twisting. Naturally, you will want to verify the direction of your twist so you know how you need to compensate.

Another thing that helps is to run your hand sewing thread through a chunk of paraffin wax to coat it, but there are also other types of thread conditioners on the market if paraffin is not available.