Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you manage?! (before rotary cutters) >

How did you manage?! (before rotary cutters)

How did you manage?! (before rotary cutters)

Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM

Default How did you manage?! (before rotary cutters)

It's something I hadn't really thought about before but I read recently that rotary cutters didn't really come into existence until about 1979. It is my understanding then that scissors were used (or maybe tearing?) So my question to all those quilting before the rotary cutter (and for those who choose not to use one) how on earth did you get such nice seams? I find I struggle WITH the rotary tool haha. And looking at quilts from the 1800's and such - amazing. Color me impressed!

(Just something I was thinking about while struggling to get nice, even cuts).

I fully admit I am likely missing something obvious here...
Old 06-20-2014, 05:26 PM

they took their time and they were accurate! I was totally amazed a few years back when i used a bunch of 60 degree diamonds that my grandmother had cut out before she passed away in 1945. I thought i'd have to square them up - but didn't!! They were all perfect. Looked like she had a cardboard template maybe and used a pencil to draw lines to cut.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM

I used electric scissors and templates...sew thankful we have rotary cutters (not to mention Accu-Quilt....)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Taking the time to make templates to draw on the back of the fabric took a LOT of time. At least we could do the cutting out while watching the kids, cooking, or watching in the evening. Sewing well made the seams so good.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

My mother used cardboard templates and pinking shears. Talk about tedious. But these women were patient and worked on their quilting at odd times, at least in my house. I'm surprised she ever got any sewing done but we all had the best clothes and doll clothes and sometimes these were without a proper pattern. Amazing.
I wouldn't sew if I had to use scissors!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
........I wouldn't sew if I had to use scissors!
i can't live w/out a good pair of scissors!!! LOL!!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM

We used to trace around homemade templates. I used to make mine from old file folders. I still have the first rotary cutter that my mother bought me. It still works great. Believe it or not when they first came out there wasn't any rotary cutter mat. You would cut on old magazines. Thankfully that didn't last long. It dulled the blades pretty fast!
I think I have been quilting for about 35 years.

Colleen
Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

If you wanted to cut pieces, you used templates and scissors. It was what you had at the time but I certainly wouldn't give up my rotary cutter and ruler now.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM

I used to cut templates from old cereal boxes. I stopped quilting for years, and when I came back to it, I was amazed at the new tools and techniques--I felt like I had discovered America!

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
We used to trace around homemade templates. I used to make mine from old file folders. I still have the first rotary cutter that my mother bought me. It still works great. Believe it or not when they first came out there wasn't any rotary cutter mat. You would cut on old magazines. Thankfully that didn't last long. It dulled the blades pretty fast!
I think I have been quilting for about 35 years.

Colleen
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM

I can remember using templates (MIL used whatever she could find) and scissors to cut her quilt blocks out for her. The last blocks that I cut out for her, she made me a quilt out of them. That was her last one she ever made. That one is pretty special to me.