Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh >
  • Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh

• Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh

Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh

Hi everyone, I've got a question. I go to Lancaster several times a year and I always enjoy the get away, but I've been thinking of visiting the Holmes county, Ohio area. Is anyone familiar with both areas? I'd love to hear a compare and contrast. I know they are both tourist areas with many Amish businesses for quilting, furniture etc. On one hand I'd love to try something different, but on the other at least Lancaster is familiar. I guess I'd hate to drive out to Ohio and be disappointed, but I would like to see something different too. Help me decide which place to visit!

Thanks in advance!
    Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM

I have only been to Holmes County Ohio. It's about an hour or less away. Love it!!! Just have to remember to take lots of cash. So much to see.
    Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM

what's special about Holmes county? i'm assuming you mean Lancaster county, PA--guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for......?
    Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Holmes County is in the heart of Amish country in Ohio. There are several fabric shops there plus restaurants and other shopping. Google Holmes County Ohio and you will get the information you are looking for. If you travel a few counties farther west of Holmes County to Richland County, there is a wonderful fabric shop owned by a Mennonite family called Country Fabrics. http://countryfabrics.net/ This may be farther than you want to travel, but like their site says, it's worth the trip.
    Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Quilt shops everywhere in Holmes county. There are many "touristy" spots, but go off the main roads and you will find so many quaint places. Take your GPS, just in case. A few years back hubby had to be in Columbus on Thursday afternoon. We normally would go together, but I had an appointment on that day and could not leave until Friday morning. I decided to take the back roads through Amish country and see what was out there. By myself. I had a ball. I found so many small quilt shops and even though I was the only "English" woman in the shops, I was treated as a friend. I truly enjoyed the company and felt honored when one shop owner asked me to sit and have a glass of iced tea with her and a few other ladies. I live about an hour north of Holmes county. I had left my house at 7 am and I arrived in Columbus almost 12 hours later. Some of the roads I traveled were gravel roads that passed beautiful Amish farms. I did get a few strange looks as I passed by, since some of these roads may not have seen motorized vehicles very often.
    Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM
    ro
    Banned

how much will it cost you to get to lancaster vs. how much to holmes? then, are you saving that much money on fabric if you are spending it on gas, hotel, wear and tear on the car. be surprised if you went to martin's in lebanon.
    Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AChristina
    If you travel a few counties farther west of Holmes County to Richland County, there is a wonderful fabric shop owned by a Mennonite family called Country Fabrics. http://countryfabrics.net/ This may be farther than you want to travel, but like their site says, it's worth the trip.
    It is very much worth the trip! I'm near Columbus and a group of us went up there a couple months ago, first time I had been there, they have LOADS of fabric and the prices are better than what you normally find in a local quilt store. A friend and I also found a great B&B about 10 miles away if you decide to make the trip. It was called College House and caters more the groups of friends, instead of a romantic getaway. Here it is: http://www.collegehousebb.com/
    Old 06-24-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    what's special about Holmes county? i'm assuming you mean Lancaster county, PA--guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for......?
    sorry, I guess I thought it would be obvious since this is a quilting forum. Holmes county is known for their Amish community and from what I understand, they are similar to Lancaster (yes, county, PA). I am looking for information about how these two places are similar and how they are different. They both have fabric stores galore and quilt shops etc, but since I've never been to Holmes county, I am seeking first hand knowledge from others. I can only research on the internet so long and it all starts to blur together.
    Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ro
    how much will it cost you to get to lancaster vs. how much to holmes? then, are you saving that much money on fabric if you are spending it on gas, hotel, wear and tear on the car. be surprised if you went to martin's in lebanon.
    I'm interested in the total experience, shops, restaurants, scenery, etc., not so much how to save money.
    Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 PM

If you are adventurous try something new. If not, stick with the familiar. Sounds like a short vacation to me, I go where I've "never gone before." You don't have to ever go back if you don't like it.