Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten? >

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 AM

Default Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Can't believe how expensive some of the larger shows have gotten! $12-$15 admission for either one day or multiple days (no discount for one day admissions)! It's getting almost too expensive to go to some of these shows what with parking (usually $5-$10), meals (I bring my own though), and of course $$$ to shop! What I am figuring now, the prices of fabric/books/patterns/etc., which are usually quite good at the shows, become "much more expensive than either LQS prices or online prices" when you factor in admission, parking, etc.

Yes, I love to look at the wonderful quilts at these shows, but I am realizing that I can go to the Pictures Board here and see some gorgeous quilts, too...and I don't have to pay admission! Granted, I can't get up close and personal with them, but I love looking at them just the same. (Keep posting those pictures! LOL)

So, what's your opinion? Am I the only one who been bitten by the "cheapo bug"? Just thought I'd ask....
Old 06-25-2014, 04:07 AM

Okay....sigh...when I told the hubby that I wasn't sure about going to the quilt show in Columbus this year. He solemnly looked at me, added up the gasoline cost, the parking cost, the admission fee, the time to drive to/from, the of lunch for two and quietly handed me $75.00, smiled and told me to go shopping at the local quilt store which was having a great sale at 50% off and buy all the material I could for the money. So....I did. We will go next year if possible.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

My quilting group has a quilt show every year. It's small and casual but the expense is still there and we have all volunteer workers. I can imagine the cost of a building fee including clean up and insurance, security, first aid and for big shows medical personnel on site. Lots expenses that has to be paid for and a profit has to be made, a big show isn't held for the good of the quilters. If you have bought concert, sport, or theater tickets lately then a quilt show is pennies compared to them.

I checked and the last sports event DH went to cost about $150 including ticket, parking, not including what he ate and drank during the game.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-25-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:23 AM

There is a local show here that charges a minimal admission to the shop floor (yes, you have to pay to shop!). That isn't too dreadful, but they have lots of classes and trunk shows too. Those are $50 or so, but that wouldn't be that bad for a national quilter. Then I noticed the fine print: there is an additional $30 charge before you can sign up for any of the classes! Now my $50 class just went to $80! I didn't sign up ;-) I guess if you were going for all 3 days and making a real trip of it (it is held in a resort area), the cost would be more easily amoritized, but I just want one class. Sigh.

Pam
Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 AM

I'm more than willing to pay the fees associated with a nationally known quilt show. When I go it is for the entire week and I plan on spending lots of time and money attending classes, looking at the quilts, attending lunches and shopping the vendor mall. Having the opportunity to take a class from well-known teacher and seeing what vendors from other areas is such a bonus!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 AM

I just attended International Quilt Show in Chicago. I was impressed they have held the admission fee to $10.00 per day or a three day pass for $25.00. Its been that since they brought the show to Chicago.

For me its not the admission fee , its the gas, the parking fee( costs more than admission) , and oh yes all the tolls to get there that add up. This show is my annual trip to quilters "Disney". I am not sure at what point I would find the total costs prohibitive. I used to think the costs were ruffly equivililent to a few magazine subscriptions that I gave up, but its the other related costs that have given me pause.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 AM

Yes, I've noticed. But, when I look around, I see that just about everything is getting more expensive. It makes you have to make choices..... wise choices. Not all of us have unlimited funds.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 AM

I have never been to show where I have felt it wasn't worth the admission (and associated) costs. From $7 for a local guild show to spending the week in Houston, I have always been inspired, learned a lot, and met wonderful people. I think the comparison to other outings is valid, concerts and sports events are big ticket items as well.

And knowing what the costs are just for our small town guild show, I can just imagine the overhead costs in running a large regional show!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 AM

My guild puts on a show every year - this is the first year I've been a guild member, but I've gone to the show 2 years prior as well (ever since I became a quilter!).

Their admission is $10 for both days, and parking is free. I think that's really reasonable, especially since this year I got to see all the work and effort that goes into the show behind the scenes. The black curtains that hang behind all the quilts are rented by the hour (!!!). Hall rental, cleanup...guild members do a ton of work but some of it has to be hired out. Advertizing is expensive too. I don't know for sure but I don't think the guild really makes much money from the show at all. I think we had about 300 quilts in the show this year, and lots of vendors. (There are 2 other local guilds that also contribute quilts.) I think it's a really good show and a wonderful way to see what the local quilting community is doing and I enjoy the heck out of it every year.

I guess you just have to ask yourself if you'll get X dollars worth of entertainment from attending. If it's going to cost you $50 to go...will you get fifty bucks worth of entertainment out of it? I also went to the PQIF in Santa Clara last year and will do so again this year. I spend a good bit on gas getting there and back, plus hotel rental and of course food. I don't even remember how much admission was - negligible compared to my gas/hotel/food costs! I couldn't do that every month, but if that's the one big show I go to every year, I can afford it. I get enough enjoyment out of going that it's worth it to me. I go both days and I go by myself, so I'm free to linger and stare and drool all I want.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM

Yes, I agree, not only admission fee, but class fees...I was just looking at the longarm show which will be in Springfield Illinois this year $100.00+ for 3hr. hands on-2/3 to a machine....+ class kit(?)..... Figure 20 per class...other just sewing technique classes...class fee + kit fee....can be a bit much.....was going to go....don't need any classes....can learn new techniques other and less expensive ways....decision made!